Steel Tbird Gas tanks...?

Don Teeple

My 97 Bird has a Plastic double hump gas tank, did any year Tbirds have steel tanks or any kind of metal?

I might try to build a tank with a sump and dual intank pumps, but plastic is kind of hard to weld :D

Nothing wrong with a fuel cell, I'm trying to keep the fuel tank in the stock location, and keep the stock look / trunk space.

I'm trying to stick with fuel pumps that dount sound like 747 Jet fuel pumps, ie loud.

I've got a Ford GT fuel pump I'll be installing in tank with a KB BAP maxed out. Should be well over 300 lph, but It may not be enough under boost, I guess I'll fall off that bridge when I get there.

I may just add a bosh 390 inline, I've heard they burn out though.

I saw a company modifying the Older mustang single-fuel Tanks (steel) to run dual intank pumps, powerful units, and much quieter in the tank.

Don Teeple said:
Nothing wrong with a fuel cell, I'm trying to keep the fuel tank in the stock location, and keep the stock look / trunk space.

I'm trying to stick with fuel pumps that dount sound like 747 Jet fuel pumps, ie loud.

I've got a Ford GT fuel pump I'll be installing in tank with a KB BAP maxed out. Should be well over 300 lph, but It may not be enough under boost, I guess I'll fall off that bridge when I get there.

I may just add a bosh 390 inline, I've heard they burn out though.

I saw a company modifying the Older mustang single-fuel Tanks (steel) to run dual intank pumps, powerful units, and much quieter in the tank.

Don,

How much power are you trying to support ? I didn't want the noisy external pumps on my turbo car either, but needed enough fuel for 1100 HP, so we made a couple special parts and mounted dual 255 hi pressure pumps in the stock tank.

David

Doug,

Thanks for your insight.

I was also considering modifying the pump assembly to hold two pumps, but I don't have one out here in front of me, so I didn't get far enough with it yet to examine whether it would be possible.

Glad to hear you have already done it.

I'm running big injectors (60#'er x 8), if necessary I'll run larger line as well -10 and -8 return. 17-20 psi range, (boost pressure on the other side of the injectors) I suspect it will be in the ballpark if 650-750 hp at the flywheel (after adding for hp to drive the big H'eaton, and 4r70w loss) probably 550 rwhp. One day I'll go for a whipple which will be more like 650-700 at the rear wheels. I'd rather overkill on the fuel system now, and not have to worry about a marginal setup at the track, or upgrades later.

I'm sure two intake pumps will be good enough especially with the boost a pump.

Thanks for any info/pics on your mods to get this done.

rwdr.net@gmail.com

Don,

Dave Dalke modded the fuel pump mount assembly to hold two pumps side by side with the 2nd pump positioned about 1/2" lower than stock. The fuel level float/sender had to be modded to clip onto a baffel in the tank instead of being attached to the pump mount, but it seems to be working fine.

It did require running a 10 gauge power supply wire from the battery to under the rear seat and a dedicated relay that was triggered by the original power wire to the pump. That way the pumps are still being controlled by the EEC and the inertia safety switch is still functional.

We ran dual 6AN braided supply lines and a single 6AN return line. We also moted an aeromotive universal regulator near the drivers side firewall (same place as clutch master cylinder for 5 spd). My main concern with doing it this way, is the possibility of sucking the well dry ot WOT and hard acceleration, but if the tank level is kept over 1/2 full that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't take any pictures of the dual pumps before installing, but there are a few pics of the tank, lines, filters and regulator in this thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48391&highlight=turbo+motor+install

David

David Neibert said:
Don,

How much power are you trying to support ? I didn't want the noisy external pumps on my turbo car either, but needed enough fuel for 1100 HP, so we made a couple special parts and mounted dual 255 hi pressure pumps in the stock tank.

David

This is what I thought he was wanting. Sorry about any confusion.

David Neibert said:
Don,

Dave Dalke modded the fuel pump mount assembly to hold two pumps side by side with the 2nd pump positioned about 1/2" lower than stock. The fuel level float/sender had to be modded to clip onto a baffel in the tank instead of being attached to the pump mount, but it seems to be working fine.

It did require running a 10 gauge power supply wire from the battery to under the rear seat and a dedicated relay that was triggered by the original power wire to the pump. That way the pumps are still being controlled by the EEC and the inertia safety switch is still functional.

We ran dual 6AN braided supply lines and a single 6AN return line. We also moted an aeromotive universal regulator near the drivers side firewall (same place as clutch master cylinder for 5 spd). My main concern with doing it this way, is the possibility of sucking the well dry ot WOT and hard acceleration, but if the tank level is kept over 1/2 full that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't take any pictures of the dual pumps before installing, but there are a few pics of the tank, lines, filters and regulator in this thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48391&highlight=turbo+motor+install

David

looks great, thanks for the info.

It will be a while, but once I get that far I'll post some additional info.

Thanks,

Don

Back