AOD Transmission Question

KCfire

I have an 89SC with an AOD tranny. The tranny was just rebuilt about 4 months ago. It seems to be shifting ok until I get to overdrive. To me it is shifting into OD to soon (around 40-45 mph). Then when i am slowing down it doesnt want to downshift out of OD until I get down to about 30-35 mph. So...if I slow down and am running between 35-45 mph i have to step on the pedal like I was accelerating hard to get it out of OD otherwise the car is shudders because it is in to high a gear for the speed I am moving at.
All that being said....Is it because they didn't get the cable that runs from my tranny up to my throttlebody set correctly and at the right pressure? If so is it safe to adjust it myself a couple of notches one way or the other without burning anything up in the tranny. And...which way would I slide the cable in the connector at the throttlebody..forwards or backwards? Thanks in advance for any help you all can give and for all the help I have recieved in the past from those of you that have answered my questions.

Sincerely,
A Broke Firefighter
Who Has to Learn to do
All Himself Because He Can't
Afford to PAY Someone Else to do it ALL the Time!

Sounds like every other AOD. Tightning the cable may help to increase the RPMs for wide open throttle shifts, but at part throttle it's still going to shift into OD too soon. Installing rear gears will only make it happen at a lower mph because the shift points are related to transmission output rpms and not wheel speed.

IMO The best way to cure the lugging and shuddering is to replace the stock converter with a stock stall non locking one. It will provide enough slippage to prevent lugging and is still tight enough to keep from generating much heat or causing a noticable reduction in gas mileage.

David

I would try to tighten the tv cable. Mine when snugged to the max position shifts to OD at 50-55 and shifts out of OD at 40-45.

I also have a lentech valvebody so that might also have something to do with the higher shift points.

Before I tightened the cable, it would shift in at 40 mph and shift out at 37 mph but it would free rev between the downshifts. This was with both the transgo kit and the lentech. It also made my 1-2 shift happen around 12 mph and my 2-3 happen at 27-20 instead of 20 where it would bog the car down. Next up for me is a non locking convt. and a big trans cooler.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/tv-ajust/index.shtml

I printed that out and followed the instructions, I took it for a drive at max setting and decided it was perfect for me. When you have the car floored, I pulled the cable out till it was exactly even with the linkage. Then I put it back on and tightened it. I could have pulled it even farther but it would have probably made the throttle pedal weird or not let it retract all the way.

I agree with Scott... I love my valve body kit and non-locker. Its a hellacious 1-2 shift which usually involves plenty of chirping and my 4th comes at 45-50. I'm just trying to chase down a partial-throttle vibration that I think has to do with the TC.

Then again it's always something at 250k miles :D

Yes, try to adjust TV cable a little tighter, probably 1mm - 2mm then see how it does, do 1mm at a time.:)

My vote is you need to clean the governor......this is very common complaint on not downshifting while comming to a stop...also caused by gummy VB.

Downshifting not under power has little to do with TV cable.

Back