Help me figure out if my car has a stock MAF...pick inside

89SCGUY

I'm tring to determine if my MAF is stock. I was under the impression that the stock maf for a 1989 SC had a bar that ran through the middle and this indeed does not. Any help appreciated.

DCP_2605.JPG

Last edited:
I don't see a pic, but, if the one you have has a big inlet and outlet with a small hole in the middle then it is the original one for the car.

I can see the pic.... the MAF you have is indeed a stock unit for an '89. The one you speak of with the bar going through it is on the newer Birds. The newer one is larger diameter, but with the post/bar going through it I doubt it flows a whole lot more than the earlier one.

XR7inWI said:
I can see the pic.... the MAF you have is indeed a stock unit for an '89. The one you speak of with the bar going through it is on the newer Birds. The newer one is larger diameter, but with the post/bar going through it I doubt it flows a whole lot more than the earlier one.

Thanks. I assumed it was but the car seems it has been modded very slightly by its previous owner so I wanted to make sure.

I had the larger one on my 93SC, and had the post cut out and the sample tube was bored a bit larger. It made the car run a bit richer since more sampled air was flowing across he sensor, but other than that made no difference.

Back