A/C problem...Need help

FLBlackBird

Last week my a/c quit working properly. I noticed that it was not blowing cold air at all.

When I bought the car last year (92 SC Auto) I noticed that the a/c had been upgraded. It has worked fine until last week. I noticed that the compressor kicks on, then immediately off. I know a normal short cycle is usually due to low freon, but this cycles immediately. I checked the pressure on the low side and it had 45lbs, which is should be in the normal range.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? All tips or things to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't have a gauge to fit the retrofit valve for the high side. But as fast as the compressor kicks on and right off, I can't imagine the high side building pressure.

You're low on freon. R134 has properties that cause it to seep past the seals more than R12. I've found that I need to add R134 about every two years to keep the system properly filled and there are no detectable leaks. John

John, I took your advise and bought a can of R134 to add. At first the can wasn't going in, but eventually it did. The compressor started running longer, although it is still short cycling. I got the entire can in, but I figure it needs more still. After it started running longer, and pondering that, I realized that the 45lbs I was getting was strictly a static pressure when no running, and when it started running longer, the pressure was lower while the compressor was on. So, I'm going to get another can to add.

rlong, thanks for the tip on the Walmart stuff. Since I need to add more, I'm going to pick that stuff for the remainder in the hopes that the leak will be sealed.

Thanks again guys for the help!!!

Back