waterpump question

90blkbrd

Is this the weep hole? I think my SC just had it's first mechanical failure.

Attachments

• waterpump weep hole.jpg
    waterpump weep hole.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 193
Have fun replacing that, I had to remove the IC tubes, Alternator, and the power steering bracket to get it replaced. I also removed the I/C just for clearance and to keep it safe.

If you have to change the waterpump and have the bracket between the power steering pump and the water pump, you can take a cut off wheel and cut it in half. Or get a ps pulley tool and remove the pulley. I threw it in the trash. I couldn't find any use for it other than to make a mechanic charge more labor, and add weight to slow down the car.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Scott Long said:
If you have to change the waterpump and have the bracket between the power steering pump and the water pump, you can take a cut off wheel and cut it in half. Or get a ps pulley tool and remove the pulley. I threw it in the trash. I couldn't find any use for it other than to make a mechanic charge more labor, and add weight to slow down the car.

I had decided that it was the pump and had already found a thread where you said you did this. Other also said this. Some even cut it and then welded it back together.

I have everything done except 2 bolts below the pump and the 2 bolts for that bracket. I ran out of time and my puller is to small to remove the power steering pulley. I'll have to go rent one or buy a cheap one.

Does autozone only sell remanufactured or new? Where should I buy it?

If I use a generic pulley remover to get the pulley off, how do I get it back on? My manual is stating a specific tool to put it back on.

The power steering pulley that you use to pull the pulley off is also used to reinstall it. You can rent one from AutoZone, but they aren't very expensive to buy and can be handy to have around.

I left the power steering pump on the bracket, to much hassle to pull IMO.

I just pull the bracket foward enough to clear the bolts for the water pump.

I just bought a new Duralast brand water pump for my '94 at Autozone for $84. I wouldn't buy a 'remanufactured' pump based upon the work needed to keep replacing it. I'd also just rent the special pulley puller and take your time to extract & re-install the power steering pulley. Use lots of lube on the puller threads and maybe a pipe on the end of your wrench to increase leverage. I just did it a couple of week-ends ago.

When you remove the pulley you pull on the pulley and push on the shaft.

When you push the pulley on what do you grab onto to pull it on?

Not to go too far off topic, but if im reading correctly above, cant you just take the whole accessory bracket loose from the head and move the whole thing forward and leave the pulley and power steering bracket alone? I did this job on a few LX 3.8's that were very similar and just did a 5.0 truck yesterday and just pulled the whole mount loose from the head, it moves quite a bit forward, enough to do the water pump. It has 3 bolts I think.

I think the pulley shaft has internal threads which the puller threads into and pulls the pulley onto the shaft.

7birdslater said:
Not to go too far off topic, but if im reading correctly above, cant you just take the whole accessory bracket loose from the head and move the whole thing forward and leave the pulley and power steering bracket alone? I did this job on a few LX 3.8's that were very similar and just did a 5.0 truck yesterday and just pulled the whole mount loose from the head, it moves quite a bit forward, enough to do the water pump. It has 3 bolts I think.

Yes.

That is exactly how I did it do to the fact that I did not have a puller and I had no problem doing it that way. Doing it that way made for a few less steps on tear down and reassembly.

Kevin Varnes said:
The power steering pulley that you use to pull the pulley off is also used to reinstall it. You can rent one from AutoZone, but they aren't very expensive to buy and can be handy to have around.
They are an essential part of any SC owner's tool set. :cool:

S_Mazza said:
I think the pulley shaft has internal threads which the puller threads into and pulls the pulley onto the shaft.

I didn't notice that until I read this and went and looked.

For putting the pulley back on, you can find a nut/w washer and bolt that match the threads inside the shaft. Run the nut all the way up the bolt, thread the bolt into the shaft with the pulley in place tighten it slightly. Hold the pulley and spin the nut down on the pulley then tighten the nut with a wrench, this will push the pulley back on the shaft.

If you have a hard time holding the pulley you can wrap the belt around the pulley until both ends touch, Let the pulley roll slightly until the belt wraps itself up a little and you should just be able to hold the belt to keep the pulley still.

Ray

OK, I wanted to get a headstart tonight so I decided to try and remove the accessory 'head'. how do you get this bolt out?

Long socket with swivel is to long and a short socket is to short. I tried from above and below and the swivel keeps binding.

The picture has a socket on the bolt.

Attachments

• powersteering bolt.jpg
    powersteering bolt.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 105
or you could just pull off the water pump pulley. most auto parts stores rent this out for free. id rather do that than redneck up one of my sockets. it takes 2 minutes to do it with the puller. youll spend 15 minutes fighting with that bolt with a regular ujoint type swivel. snap on swivels however are the shizznit

Back