PDA

View Full Version : waterpump question

90blkbrd
01-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Is this the weep hole? I think my SC just had it's first mechanical failure.

rlong
01-15-2006, 07:03 PM
yes it is the weep hole bad waterpump if it leaks there

Hock
01-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Have fun replacing that, I had to remove the IC tubes, Alternator, and the power steering bracket to get it replaced. I also removed the I/C just for clearance and to keep it safe.

Scott Long
01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
If you have to change the waterpump and have the bracket between the power steering pump and the water pump, you can take a cut off wheel and cut it in half. Or get a ps pulley tool and remove the pulley. I threw it in the trash. I couldn't find any use for it other than to make a mechanic charge more labor, and add weight to slow down the car.

90blkbrd
01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

If you have to change the waterpump and have the bracket between the power steering pump and the water pump, you can take a cut off wheel and cut it in half. Or get a ps pulley tool and remove the pulley. I threw it in the trash. I couldn't find any use for it other than to make a mechanic charge more labor, and add weight to slow down the car.

I had decided that it was the pump and had already found a thread where you said you did this. Other also said this. Some even cut it and then welded it back together.

I have everything done except 2 bolts below the pump and the 2 bolts for that bracket. I ran out of time and my puller is to small to remove the power steering pulley. I'll have to go rent one or buy a cheap one.

Does autozone only sell remanufactured or new? Where should I buy it?

90blkbrd
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
If I use a generic pulley remover to get the pulley off, how do I get it back on? My manual is stating a specific tool to put it back on.

Kevin Varnes
01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
The power steering pulley that you use to pull the pulley off is also used to reinstall it. You can rent one from AutoZone, but they aren't very expensive to buy and can be handy to have around.

Hock
01-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I left the power steering pump on the bracket, to much hassle to pull IMO.

I just pull the bracket foward enough to clear the bolts for the water pump.

Joisey Jim
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I just bought a new Duralast brand water pump for my '94 at Autozone for $84. I wouldn't buy a 'remanufactured' pump based upon the work needed to keep replacing it. I'd also just rent the special pulley puller and take your time to extract & re-install the power steering pulley. Use lots of lube on the puller threads and maybe a pipe on the end of your wrench to increase leverage. I just did it a couple of week-ends ago.

90blkbrd
01-16-2006, 02:17 PM
When you remove the pulley you pull on the pulley and push on the shaft.

When you push the pulley on what do you grab onto to pull it on?

7birdslater
01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Not to go too far off topic, but if im reading correctly above, cant you just take the whole accessory bracket loose from the head and move the whole thing forward and leave the pulley and power steering bracket alone? I did this job on a few LX 3.8's that were very similar and just did a 5.0 truck yesterday and just pulled the whole mount loose from the head, it moves quite a bit forward, enough to do the water pump. It has 3 bolts I think.

S_Mazza
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I think the pulley shaft has internal threads which the puller threads into and pulls the pulley onto the shaft.

Hock
01-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Not to go too far off topic, but if im reading correctly above, cant you just take the whole accessory bracket loose from the head and move the whole thing forward and leave the pulley and power steering bracket alone? I did this job on a few LX 3.8's that were very similar and just did a 5.0 truck yesterday and just pulled the whole mount loose from the head, it moves quite a bit forward, enough to do the water pump. It has 3 bolts I think.

Yes.

That is exactly how I did it do to the fact that I did not have a puller and I had no problem doing it that way. Doing it that way made for a few less steps on tear down and reassembly.

TbirdSCFan
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
The power steering pulley that you use to pull the pulley off is also used to reinstall it. You can rent one from AutoZone, but they aren't very expensive to buy and can be handy to have around.
They are an essential part of any SC owner's tool set. :cool:

90blkbrd
01-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Editing this because I was wrong.

90blkbrd
01-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I think the pulley shaft has internal threads which the puller threads into and pulls the pulley onto the shaft.

I didn't notice that until I read this and went and looked.

RBH Racing
01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
For putting the pulley back on, you can find a nut/w washer and bolt that match the threads inside the shaft. Run the nut all the way up the bolt, thread the bolt into the shaft with the pulley in place tighten it slightly. Hold the pulley and spin the nut down on the pulley then tighten the nut with a wrench, this will push the pulley back on the shaft.

If you have a hard time holding the pulley you can wrap the belt around the pulley until both ends touch, Let the pulley roll slightly until the belt wraps itself up a little and you should just be able to hold the belt to keep the pulley still.

Ray

90blkbrd
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
OK, I wanted to get a headstart tonight so I decided to try and remove the accessory 'head'. how do you get this bolt out?

Long socket with swivel is to long and a short socket is to short. I tried from above and below and the swivel keeps binding.

The picture has a socket on the bolt.

RBH Racing
01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
lol, cut the socket off about half way down, then put a swivel on it.

22lbsofboost
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
or you could just pull off the water pump pulley. most auto parts stores rent this out for free. id rather do that than redneck up one of my sockets. it takes 2 minutes to do it with the puller. youll spend 15 minutes fighting with that bolt with a regular ujoint type swivel. snap on swivels however are the shizznit

RBH Racing
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
it was more of a joke.....:rolleyes:

The puller had been mentioned, several times I believe....

Hock
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
I either used a socket with a universal and extentions or a wrench, or both.

But I say again, you do not have to remove the power steering pump to do this job.

Mike8675309
01-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Pull the pulley off, take that bracket off that's in the way. Throw the bracket in the trash. Then reinstall the p/s pulley and remove your water pump.

90blkbrd
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I either used a socket with a universal and extentions or a wrench, or both.

But I say again, you do not have to remove the power steering pump to do this job.

Hey, I edited my post above and went out and gave it a shot. But I threw my back out yesterday and I give up. Renting a puller tomorrow. I haven't decided if I am going to not reinstall the braket.

If you have left this bracket off before. how many miles later is it now? I guess I am curious if it isn't needed.

Smutty
01-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Before you take the pully off with the PS Pulley remover, retap the threads and make sure that the bolt goes in smoothly. You cannot hold onto the small shaft when the pulley is off. Strap wrenches work great in this situation.

Hock
01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey, I edited my post above and went out and gave it a shot. But I threw my back out yesterday and I give up. Renting a puller tomorrow. I haven't decided if I am going to not reinstall the braket.

If you have left this bracket off before. how many miles later is it now? I guess I am curious if it isn't needed.

If your talking about the braket in red, I left it on there. That bolt in the rear of the pic was a pain in the arse but what I said before is how I got that one out. Yeah, it was hard to do, but it saved me from the puller and the extra work involved in the removal process.

90blkbrd
01-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes this is the bracket in question. Some SC owners have been leaving it off. I would like to know if they have had any issues in the long term that could be due to them leaving it off.

It sure looks like the "head" is designed stong enough that this bracket really wasn't needed.

David Neibert
01-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Either toss that usless bracket, or don't reinstall the bolt that's behind it. On my car I kept the bracket and tossed the bolt. Now I don't have to mess with the power steering pump pulley everytime I pull the accesory bracket off the car.

It's not really a big deal to pull and reinstall the PS pulley if you have the correct tool, but when your tearing into the motor as often as I do, every little bit helps.

David

Joisey Jim
01-17-2006, 03:54 PM
You can do it 3 ways - Cut the bracket & discard it, loosen & pull the PSP to one side or use the PSP pulley puller. I have only ever done it with the puller (3 times now - my original '90, my '93 & just recently my '94 SC); so I can't say which method is easier. The pump pulley is a very tight push fit, so you do need the special puller to remove and re-install it. Basically it uses a couple of 1/2 cupped washers and a threaded insert to pull & push against. If you have an intercooler fan or double intercooler they will have to be removed to get enough room for the puller to work. You will also need to have some kind of pipe extension on your wrenches as a lot of carefully applied torque is needed to break that baby loose.

90blkbrd
01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
There isn't a trick to removing the pulley? There isn't a nut or retainer holding it on?

I have sprayed it with wd-40 and put some oil on the shaft a couple of days ago. I started to pull it off and it isn't budging and the pulley is starting to bend.

Hacksaw here I come?

Kevin Varnes
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Nope it's just a press fit on there. Are you using a three jaw puller or the specific pulley puller? The specific pulley puller grabs the protruding area on the front of the pulley right around the shaft.

Joisey Jim
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Don't go screwing-up your pump pulley & shaft, rent or buy the proper puller.

Mike8675309
01-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Get a good light in there and take your time paying attention to what you're doing. On my 89, the pulley came off pretty well. On my 93, it was a BEOTCH and I ended up having to use some heat on the pulley hub to get it to finally budge. For heat I use a propane torch with mapp gas cylinder.

When pulling the pulley off, make sure you use the proper tool. Make sure the tool is tight on the removal hub. And make sure the bolt that pushes on the pump shaft to pull the pulley off is actually pushing on the center of the shaft and not off center and pushing on the hub, working against itself.

90blkbrd
01-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, It's off.

I was a able to get a boxed end wrench on the third bolt and it came loose. I then used the regular socket and the swivel socket to get the nut off.

I did not reread this whole thread. So forgive me if someone mentioned it above.

In order to get the head with the power steering and alternator to slide forward and out of the way, you have to remove the lower IC nut and bolt.

What a pain for what should have been such a simple project.

Surface is all cleaned up and ready for a new water pump.

I have found that some people have purchased remanufactured and new. Some from Ford and some from Autozone. I have a O'rielly near me. Any opinions? New at Autozone and O'rielly run about $55 and remanufactured runs around $36.

90blkbrd
01-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Well I pick up a new not remanufactured waterpump. But they are not the same.

The bolt pattern looks the same.
The pump side looks the same.
On the old pump the weep hole is on bottom, new on top.
the new pump also has a protrusion where the weep hole is.

Is this the right part for a SC?

Mike8675309
01-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I believe that is a design change. I replaced one on my 90 and the new one was like that and it also had a piece of paper in with it that said it was a different, improved design.

95pearlbird
01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Wow! This job looks like real pain in the ***! I sure hope that I don't have to do this anytime soon on my SC...Ford really buried that sucka in there, didn't they? Some engines are fairly simple to work on, but the SC is certainly not in THAT group.This is the simple sounding job that the line mechs hate!

ROFLMAO at the "Hacksaw, Here I come..", comment.... Been there, Done That! Hoping this goes back together for you far easier than it came apart!

Anyone know of any progress being made on that "Hi-Flow Aftermarket Water Pump" thread? Release Date of same? "rX7Dave"? ...LOL...-

Keep the bucket of water close by, those flying wrenches get white-hot!

Mike8675309
01-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Here is a thread with pictures where the odd holes were discussed before.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=443109#post443109

sizemoremk
01-20-2006, 12:19 AM
If the bracket is really necessary, or you really want to keep it, couldn't you just cut a hole in its center or notch the top edge a bit so you can get yer socket in there next time?

I pulled off the whole bracket last weekend, and I don't specifically remember having a problem getting the bolt back there off. I have a rear end load of swivels, wobble extensions, and of course wrenches... Or I may have used a box wrench and a cheater bar maybe??? Either way I don't recall it being a huge pain to get back off.

I've taken the whole bracket off a time or two now, but the first time I had it off, I pulled the PS pulley with the "ps pump pulley puller" from autozone, and used anti-seize to put it all back together.

But mainly, I think the key is to use the pump puller to get it off rather than screwing something up or rounding the nut; then for next time, put a big hole in that bracket so you can get yer socket in there... Or just chunk it, I kinda want to keep it myself... There was some kinda reason ford put it there. Bun then again there was a reason they did alot of BS to these cars.

I'd like to see a count of those who have removed it without problem.Or maybe how long they've had it removed...

XR7inWI
01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
When I bought my 89 XR7 a year ago it needed a new water pump when I got it. The guy I bought the car from offered to change the water pump before I picked up the car as long as I paid for the pump. I took him up on the offer and after reading all this I am really glad I did let him do it.

After he got it done he said that was the worst nightmare he ever went through to change a water pump. He couldn't figure it out either and ended up cutting that power steering pump bracket and then welded it back together after water pump was installed. His welding job ain't the prettiest but it DEFINATELY aint gonna fall apart... LOL.

After reading all this I will probably be scrapping that bracket as it is kinda ugly looking being welded together like it is. Power steering pump has been moaning too so I was thinking about swapping that out sometime and that's probably when that bracket will hit the scrap pile.

90blkbrd
01-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Here is a thread with pictures where the odd holes were discussed before.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=443109#post443109

Thanks! I did a search and didn't find this thread. Looks like I will be installing the pump tomorrow if it isn't to cold.

S_Mazza
01-20-2006, 11:50 AM
The bracket is probably designed to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness. There is a recent trend of vehicle manufacturers trying to make the accessory mounts as stiff as possible to keep up with the competition in engine smoothness. These days, many accessories are bolted directly to the block or heads to reduce the possibility of vibration and resonance.

90blkbrd
01-21-2006, 10:46 AM
When pulling the pulley off, make sure you use the proper tool. Make sure the tool is tight on the removal hub. And make sure the bolt that pushes on the pump shaft to pull the pulley off is actually pushing on the center of the shaft and not off center and pushing on the hub, working against itself.
A picture is worth a 1000 words. :)

I had originally rented a 3-jaw puller for this job and found out it wasn't the right tool for the job.

Here are pictures of the kit that I rented just to post pictures of them and how they work.

I also found these how to instructions:

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/water_pump101.html

I'm hoping in the future this thread can help the next SC'er replace his first water pump.