94/95 5 Speed in a 92???

BlueThunder12

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows if a 94/95 Thunderbird 5 Speed transmission will fit a 92 bird? Are the trannys the same as the 89-93 M5R2's? I am doing a auto to manual swap and found a 94 SC with a 5 speed but am not sure if it is the same tranny as the 89-93. Same gear rations? Please help me. Thanks,
-Derek

Re: Late M5R2 in an early car

If you can get a Late Model SC 5-spd DO IT!!!!!!!!

I upgraded my '89 XR-7 to 3.27 gears, while using my original early model 5-spd. 1st. gear became almost unuseable. Basically the race routine was , Dump......Shift

Eventually I replaced my early 5-spd (basically WIDE ratio) tranny, for a late model 5-spd (basically CLOSE ratio).

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference a tranny makes!!!!!!! I can now hold 1st gear till I'm well outa the box. 2nd gear will take me Way further down track. 3rd. gear still takes me through the traps. The Beauty of the late model tranny, is that it's a "natural" configuration for 3.27 gears!!!!!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone, I now have a 95 M5R2

Thanks guys for the posts, I pulled out the tranny and it is now sitting in my garage. Hopefully I will be more than happy with it once its in the car.
-Derek

i run a 94 tranny in my 91 - its the only way to go. has a better gear ratio imho and has a nice top loader feel to it. you can run 3.55 gears easily too

Back