PDA

View Full Version : aod experts near allentown pa

twoblownfords
01-16-2006, 10:04 AM
If anyone knows these transmissions contact me i need to have this thing firmed up. I had a aod built a year ago with a transgo shift kit and other crap and still with 373's this thing does not bark second. I just think for 2 thousand it should. The trans shop does not seem eager to work on it so maybe they did not put parts in like they said oneqkgt@aol.com

hytorksc
01-16-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm not an aod expert, but here's a suggestion. Try increasing the line pressure a little bit by resetting the TV cable block on the throttle linkage. Set it one or two notches tighter, back towards the firewall, and see if that wakes it up. I set mine a little high, and I get very firm shifts, sometimes enough to lightly chirp second (and i don't have a shift kit), but be very careful with setting the pressure because you can burn it up, especially hurting your OD band if you set it too high- the OD band will cause your engine to overheat and start slipping badly on a hot day if set too high. Just a little higher 2 notches max won't hurt it unless yours is already set high. Set it to where the TV line almost does not allow the TB to fully open at WOT- that's where mine is at and i like the way it shifts. Mine winds up to 5100 rpm before shifting hard into second. i would reiterate to be VERY careful setting line pressure too high- make conservative changes, not too aggresive- if it jerks too hard in and out of OD, back off the setting by one notch- aod's are really a big pain to get them to work the way you want it without risk of breaking them.

hytorksc
01-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Another thing- i don't know what your powerband looks like, but if it's a mild modded SC like mine, using 3.73's may have just slid your powerband down too low in the rpm range to chirp the tires. By the time the AOD shifts up high, it's out of it's powerband. i think you'd have to make huge power up high and low to take full advantage of the 3.73's and as you may know, mild modded SC's make awesome power down low- they don't generate impressive power at high rpm's- in fact they don't do any better than a stock upscale honda or nissan at higher rpms. 3.73's are good for the 1/4 mile getting low ET's by off the line advantage, but not by top end power (low mph).

twoblownfords
01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
373's are awsome on the highway too when you pass someone the car just pulls before it had to downshift and it was lazy. Heavy cars need gears.

hytorksc
01-16-2006, 06:28 PM
373's are awsome on the highway too when you pass someone the car just pulls before it had to downshift and it was lazy. Heavy cars need gears.
Not to change the subject of this thread, but does the 373's make your engine rev high all the time? do you have to rely on cruising in OD and passing cars in OD? i was hesitant to use 373's for that reason, and if i ever built up my SC to high power levels the OD band couln't handle it- that's what i read on these forums so if i can't get it done in 3rd gear with no more than 327's then anything else would be counter productive. the OD band can only take 400 ft lbs torque at the input shaft which sets an approximate limit of 300 hp at the engine- about 240 rwhp. should i not be concerned about that and go for 373's?

twoblownfords
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
i mean if you just tip in to pass the car goes like hell now i would not trade the gears for stock ones. gears help move these heavy cars simple as that

Dirtyd0g
01-17-2006, 01:27 AM
want a 1-2 chirp you need components in the transmission capable of doing it. Without at least a 14 element roller clutch or a mechanical diode and a 4 plate intermediate setup you won't be able to chirp em long if you get it to do it at all.
Alan

beeturbo
01-17-2006, 04:34 AM
just droped my engine and trans into my 90sc 2day.. but my approach on aod is a little different but it really wakes up the transmission ..i used to use the B&m shift improver kit street/strip level it does give a more noticeable shift feel .. then i heard about the transgo kit and how it still shifts into od even when locked i drive position.. that sux..so with the unit just installed into my car and after reading on this site how most use transgo , lentech or bauhman.. i went with the Superior Aod-HP shift kit $40, Superior A+ od super servo$120(for better holding power and od band clamping force) Hd 2-3 accumulator Piston$8 (has 4sealing rings instead of just 2 and its about a few 16ths of an inch taller ,is said to help prevent 3rd clutch failure and promotes firmer 2-3 shift elimanates 2-3 slide bump and mush 2-3 shift)
Sonax (pressure regulator boost valve (high ratio)$35 ..this combination should make quite a difference in the overall performance of the unit. theres a guy that builds hi performance aod's for mustangs and he swears by this shift kit by superior so i just got all i could to strengthen the tranny wit the shift kit .. plus i just installed a 2300-2500 Daaco performance plus locking stall converter .. just wondering will it be to loose being i dont have a performance cam yet and still have stock 3.27's...

twoblownfords
01-17-2006, 08:26 AM
well i just ordered the art carr manual valve body from billy boy. shift kit or not this thing sucks lol. I rather that manual valve body mode so it does not shift all over the place. and if i dont like it i will toss the whole trans out and get something better.