Erratic no start

kid vishus

After going back 42 pages, I have yet to find a post where someone has had similar symptons. When I try to start my '93 SC, occassionally it wont start. When it doesn't start, the starter doesn't spin. As soon as the starter spins, it fires right up. I changed starters and it made no difference. When it acts up, if I keep turning the key, it will eventually start. Each time the key is placed in the "start" position, I hear an audible click that sounds like it is coming from the drivers side under the hood. It will go weeks at a time with no issues, then the next time I try to start it, it might take a dozen cycles of the key before the starter engages. I'm afraid one of these times it wont engage and I'll be stuck.

the click is probably a relay coming on. Sounds like your ignition switch is starting to fail. There is a recall on these cars for the switches.

Thanks. How do I find out if it has been fixed on the recall? If there was a factory recall for it, I dont want to pay to fix it out of my pocket.

I had the same problem, my solution was the battery. Just take your battery to Auto Zone/Advance and have them test if for you. I thought is was my starter too, but I had it checked before I bought a new one, it was perfect.

Battery is less than a year old. I doubt if that is the problem. When the starter does engage, it spins over fast and fires up right away. It does act like the switch is bad. I was just hoping there was a starter relay or something that could have been going bad.

there should be a sticker on the fan shroud depicting what recalls have been serviced on it. Chance it could be on the door frame or fender well.
The recall is actually for shorting and possible fire.

Recall 96V071000: Ignition Switch Short Circuit

THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.

THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE OVERHEATING, SMOKE, AND POSSIBLY FIRE IN THE STEERING COLUMN AREA OF THE VEHICLE.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.

SYSTEM: ELECTRICAL; IGNITION SWITCH.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS.

NOTE: OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

This ones pretty good also.

Recall 90V026000: Battery Cable Replacement

BATTERY TO STARTER CABLES ARE LONGER THAN SPECIFIED; EXCESSIVE CABLE LENGTH COULD CONTACT ENGINE DAMPER PULLEY.

CABLE PROTECTIVE COVERING AND INSULATION COULD WEAR THROUGH AND CAUSE A DIRECT SHORT TO GROUND, RESULTING IN OVERHEATING OF THE CABLE INSULATION AND POSSIBLY A UNDERHOOD FIRE.

REPLACE BATTERY TO STARTER CABLE WITH CORRECT LENGTH CABLE.

SYSTEM: BATTERY TO STARTER CABLE.

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER CARS EQUIPPED WITH 3.8 LITER ENGINES.

No, I haven't tried that. I'll give that a shot the next time it acts up. I haven't been driving it cuz I'm scared the ~next time~ it wont start at all.

I've got the same issue with my '94 auto. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet since it's parked for the winter, but I have narrowed it down to either a bad ground or the ignition switch. The "click" that I hear is from all the electronics "resetting". Everytime I release the switch from the start back to the run position, everything (radio, dash, ABS, eec) "resets" like when you first turn the key on. When it does eventually crank, it starts right up.

For the ignition switch experts: I've heard of the switches visably seperating. Is this always the case or are there other faults which aren't visable that cause these problems?

Vince

Make sure the small wire on the starter is connected good and tight and that the connector is clean. I know you already replaced the starter so this may not be it, but my 89 XR7 did the same thing as you are saying about yours. Turned out that the small wire on the starter had a dirty and loose connection. Cleaned the connections real good, reconnected it and squeezed it on tight with a small vice grips and problem was solved. It's worth a shot to try it as it wil not cost anything.

I made sure the connector was good on the small starter wire. I thought originally that might have been it too, so I soldered a new end on the wire at the same time I replaced the starter. Dumb thing did the same thing the first time I turned the key. If it's the switch, I'll take it somewhere to have it fixed. I hate trying to fix electrical problems. If it was my racecar doing this, I would tear all the wiring out on that circuit and replace it. I really love driving the car and it gets the best mile-age out of all the vehicles we own. But when I'm not sure it will start every time, it makes me hesitant to drive it at all.

Check to see if it cranks everytime with a screwdriver accross your solonoid. My solonoid has dirty contacts inside, it clicks every time I turn the key and I believe this rules out the ignition switch, as its closing the solonoid which should send the battery voltage to the starter and at least crank the engine. If I put it to start a bunch of times really quick, it will crank though. Bad Solonoids with dirty (welded) contacts inside do this. Mine will crank every single time with a screwdriver.

Back