T5 shifter extension, gauging interest, please read

91supacoop

Rich from MN12 performance has 10 shifter extensions to be able to use T5 transmission in our cars. However they need cutting and rewelding to work. I was thinking about purchasing them all, and modifying them as needed. I already did one, and tested it on my my T5; and it works well. Before i go and buy all ten, I wanted to gauge interest to see who is planning on putting a T5 in, and may need one of these extension kits. The shifter extension works with any T5 or T56 shifter.

Spinning Wheels-SC also has a shifter extension kit, but I don't know if it needs reworked or not. Shoot Victor Malvar an email or pm.

IMO, the T5 tranny, isn't that great at all. Sure the parts are easy to find, but its a lot to just swap different tranny's. I'm sure you'll need a new driveshaft, flywheel, maybe a starter, slave cylinder, new clutch set-up, shifter, extension housing...ect. Not to mention that the ratios are different. As rare as the parts are for the mazda, I feel that its a much better platform.

He's using one of the performance GForce T5's which is more efficient than the M5R2. I don't know by how much, but it's build and gear setup will pick it up decently.

fastsc92 said:
IMO, the T5 tranny, isn't that great at all. Sure the parts are easy to find, but its a lot to just swap different tranny's. I'm sure you'll need a new driveshaft, flywheel, maybe a starter, slave cylinder, new clutch set-up, shifter, extension housing...ect. Not to mention that the ratios are different. As rare as the parts are for the mazda, I feel that its a much better platform.

Well, as Cmac said, I do have the G-force T5. It's built pretty stong, and will hopefully live behind my motor....but only time will tell. The M5R2, and T5 are both the same length, so driveshaft shouldn't be a problem. You are correct, the stock clutch and flywheel would not work with the T5. However, since i am doing a serious buildup I would not have left the stock components in there even with the M5R2, so for me it was just a matter of ordering different parts. For my application this was the best option since the 2nd and 3rd synchros were shot in the M5R2, I didn't want to go with an auto, and I'm going to be putting out a fair amount of HP and Tq. As has been discussed in the past the T5 cannot handle as much torque as the M5R2...even the WC T5, the only dissadvantage of the M5R2 is the synchros. So in my opinion swapping a stock T5 in for a stock M5R2 would not be reasonable. This application is only practical for people looking to make high horsepower SC's, and want to keep a 5 speed in their birds; and are willing to shell out the cash for a beefed up T5. I realize there isn't a huge potential out there for this kinda thing, i guess it's just for people looking to make big #'s without replacing parts as often as i change underwear.

G-Force T5

91supacoop said:
You are correct, the stock clutch and flywheel would not work with the T5.
I'm also interested in the G-Force T5 conversion. I especially like the different gear ratios, Extra strength & available .5 OD. :eek: That .5 OD would mean that 3.55's or 3.73's could be used. OMG, Imagine my 3.27's on the highway, with a .5 OD :D

I already have a SPEC Stage III alum. flywheel & clutch. What exactly & why wouldn't the OEM flywheel & clutch work? Is the pilot bigger/smaller/longer/shorter? That's something that G-Force may be able to correct when they build the T5. If the T5 has different input splines, then all you would need is a clutch disk with the correct spline count.

You can buy a hydraulic adapter for the T5. I would think that with that, you could utilize the OEM master cylinder.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
I already have a SPEC Stage III alum. flywheel & clutch. What exactly & why wouldn't the OEM flywheel & clutch work? Is the pilot bigger/smaller/longer/shorter? That's something that G-Force may be able to correct when they build the T5. If the T5 has different input splines, then all you would need is a clutch disk with the correct spline count.

68COUGAR
The input sline on the T5 from g-force is a 26-spline, and looking up the part #'s for a mustang with a T5 Vs. a t-bird on www.specclutch.com yeilds different part #'s for any stage clutch and flywheels.

Back