stall converter question ??

beeturbo

kinda curuious as to what i can expect from my sc which has stock 3.27's having just installed a locking 2400 stall converter .. i may step up to 3.55's or 373. i had an 89 sc before with 3.55 and it really woke the car up .. ive never used over 2000 stall b4 in other vehicles so im kinda curious as to will the 2400 slip much in the sc.. will it tkae a lot more accelleration to get it moving from lite 2 lite or will it have more get up when i punch it leaving out the hole..?my best friend syas that i wont even be able to tell much difference during normal driving withthe 2400 stall.. he says that only when i stand up in it will i notice a difference in how it launches off . can any one clear this up for me perhaps someone that does or has used a 2400 "locking" converter .. "dirty" i welcome your input and i know u hate the locking direct drive set up but i kinda like it so canu shed some lite lol..without making me feel that the locking converter is a pile of manure lol..but all replies appreciated ..one more thing also .. that same friend of mine has a 95 ford f150 lightening with the factory 4:10"s but hes added a stall converter and shift kit as well as vortech supercharger and tons of other goodies he doesnt remember how much stall is inthe truck .but when i rode in it wit the 410's it doesnt seem to turn hard or hi rpms on he highay but i noticed that when it ~~~~~ into 4th gear od, out onthe rode the converter locks up and the roms drop more .. now my question is with the aod would it perform the same as far as highway rpms even though its not elctronically controlled like the E40d in the lightening because i might install 410's i just dont wanna have the engine screaming as though a 3spd c-6 would with 410's ..cause ive got a f150 with 460 c-6 and 3.55 and i hate the way the thing sounds on the highway plenty power but imscaredof pushing it past 75 pls when i do it strats to heat up from turning so many r's

without considering the locking/non locking aspect of your converter, youre not going to feel a WHOLE lot of difference over stock with a 2000 or even 2400 stall. they say as a rule of thumb to not run anything over 3000 stall on the street and thats where i would go next time is the 3000 stall. i have a 2800 stall im happy with, but i would like more. i had a 10" 3000 stall in my first SC a couple years ago and it was a blast. i had stock 3.27 gears and i would still just kill the tires on a even a conservative launch. so to sum it up, im not buying anything less than a 3000 stall anymore. the 2800 feels so stock on the street under normal driving its silly. like your boy told you youre only gonna see even close to the advertised stall at the red light if you stand on it, and even then the actual stall speed depends on what kind of power you are making. your 2400 stall may flash all the way to 2400 with a lot of power but my little old 302 couldnt flash my 2800 all the way to 2800 hardly ever. it was looking more like around 2500-2600 on a hard launch. however i had a big block plymouth that would flash a STOCK converter to crazy rpm's its amazing what 600 ft lbs can do for you:)

Normal Driving shouldn't be much different maybe just a bit softer shifts. Under wot you will be agressive in 1st and 2nd and it will fall on it's face for a second when you hit 3rd and direct drive comes in. The diameter of the converter will make the most difference. If you have a 12 inch 2400 stall you'll notice it all the time. If it is a 9 inch you will only notice it at wot.
Alan

dirtydog what do you know/think about this dacco converter i run?

COMMERCIAL
Is a heavy-duty brazed torque converter of 11", 12" or 13" depending on application. The converter will contain thrust bearings in major load areas, if appropriate, to add durability and longevity to the unit in applications including towing, hauling, snow plows, motor homes, and other recreational vehicles.

STREET
Is a torque converter with an increase of 400 to 500 RPM over stock stall speed. This increase will be best suited to "street-rods" and other "show-and-go" type vehicles. Expected stall range: 1800-2050 PRM.

PRO-STREET (Im using this one here)
Is a high-performance torque converter of the 11" size with an expected stall speed of 2300-2800 RPM. The stall speed of this converter will be suitable for street as well as some drag-strip applications. The pro-street is a moderately priced torque converter with exceptional value for the performance minded street enthusiast.

COMPETITION
Is an affordable priced high-performance stall converter of 9" design with an expected stall speed of 4200-5500 RPM, or of 10" design with an expected stall speed of 2800-3500 RPM for racing applications. These units are available with thrust bearings in all locations or thrust washers if you desire, balloon plates, and furnace brazing. Not recommended for street appliations.

PRO-COMPETITION
Is a high-performance stall converter of 9" design with an expected stall speed of 4200-5500 RPM, or of 10" design with an expected stall speed of 2800-3500 RPM for racing applications. These units are available with thrust bearings in all locations or thrust washers if you desire, hard stators, diode stators, balloon plates, and furnace brazing.

just got off the phone with these guys and they tell me the pro street 11" is good for 400 flywheel tq. i m using a b&m supercooler and a trans temp guage(usually hovers around 160 unless i pound on it then i see 190 or so)

Last edited:
The downside I see to it is that it uses a stock front cover and mentions nothing about ballooning plates. i was building those in 11 inch unit and adding ballooning plates inside the converter, that made it worth the effort. The stock front cover balloons terribly. Stall wise I think you'll be okay but try to keep rpms down on it whenever possible,don't go nuts with the gears.
Alan

22lbsofboost said:
dirtydog what do you know/think about this dacco converter i run?

COMMERCIAL
Is a heavy-duty brazed torque converter of 11", 12" or 13" depending on application. The converter will contain thrust bearings in major load areas, if appropriate, to add durability and longevity to the unit in applications including towing, hauling, snow plows, motor homes, and other recreational vehicles.

STREET
Is a torque converter with an increase of 400 to 500 RPM over stock stall speed. This increase will be best suited to "street-rods" and other "show-and-go" type vehicles. Expected stall range: 1800-2050 PRM.

PRO-STREET (Im using this one here)
Is a high-performance torque converter of the 11" size with an expected stall speed of 2300-2800 RPM. The stall speed of this converter will be suitable for street as well as some drag-strip applications. The pro-street is a moderately priced torque converter with exceptional value for the performance minded street enthusiast.

COMPETITION
Is an affordable priced high-performance stall converter of 9" design with an expected stall speed of 4200-5500 RPM, or of 10" design with an expected stall speed of 2800-3500 RPM for racing applications. These units are available with thrust bearings in all locations or thrust washers if you desire, balloon plates, and furnace brazing. Not recommended for street appliations.

PRO-COMPETITION
Is a high-performance stall converter of 9" design with an expected stall speed of 4200-5500 RPM, or of 10" design with an expected stall speed of 2800-3500 RPM for racing applications. These units are available with thrust bearings in all locations or thrust washers if you desire, hard stators, diode stators, balloon plates, and furnace brazing.

just got off the phone with these guys and they tell me the pro street 11" is good for 400 flywheel tq. i m using a b&m supercooler and a trans temp guage(usually hovers around 160 unless i pound on it then i see 190 or so)

it says in the site that they are optional, and i bought mine with balooning plates. it even says optional on their competition models. wierd

Back