trans wont shift into foward gears

92Cougar

my trans wont shift in drive/overdrive/low i dont know why. last august i replace the tv cable and adjusted it a bit too much and it used to shift hard. the car sat fro, august until last week and i drove it for 4 days with the tranny shifting hard and when u put it in gear it would take a bit to click in.

Yesterday it was fine until night. it shifted out of drive itself but after a while of reving it went back in. then the last time, i was turning around and it did it again, but more reving and it went back in. now this mourning i went to go to school and it wouldnt go into drive. I just sat there reving it up in overdrive. I have been tring it all day. I tried adjusting the tv cable and still nothing.

Could it be from low fluid?

Did I burn the clutches in my tranny?

Any help or suggestions would gladly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

92Cougar said:
my trans wont shift in drive/overdrive/low i dont know why. last august i replace the tv cable and adjusted it a bit too much and it used to shift hard. the car sat fro, august until last week and i drove it for 4 days with the tranny shifting hard and when u put it in gear it would take a bit to click in.

Yesterday it was fine until night. it shifted out of drive itself but after a while of reving it went back in. then the last time, i was turning around and it did it again, but more reving and it went back in. now this mourning i went to go to school and it wouldnt go into drive. I just sat there reving it up in overdrive. I have been tring it all day. I tried adjusting the tv cable and still nothing.

Could it be from low fluid?

Did I burn the clutches in my tranny?

Any help or suggestions would gladly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

did you check the tranny fluid with the motor running at temp? sound like the pump isnt getting enough fluid for sure...

i did check it with it running at temp and it was low..im definently going to get fluid and maybe some kind of lucas stuff...ill report back if it doesnt work..thanks for the suggestion

Jim

might need a band. I was just in the same situation. The ghetto rigged setup on my tranny lines (previous owner) froze and one busted 3/4 the way to work. Put 2 bottles of lucas and regular fluid and sofar its been holding up ok

Back