Removing front shocks

What are you having trouble with? Is the lower bolt that goes through the control arm tough to get out? If so it is more than likely completely rusted to the steel sleeve in the bushing. So far I'm 0 for 8,000,000 in being successful in removing them once they are rusted in. New bolts are available at Advance and Napa. Everything else should be pretty straight forward.

Three 13mm nuts at the top and one bolt through the lower control arm is all that attaches the spring/shock combo to the car. Then just unbolt the upper control arm from the spindle, and slip the combo out of there.

-Rod

yea I couldn't get that bolt out of there, guess I'll have to try harder, I don't think the shocks were put in there that long ago since they are still pretty shiny new looking.

I've had absolutely zero luck with getting that bolt out once it's frozen in. Unfortunately if you can't get it out it may also mean a new lower control arm since that bushing is not serviced separately. Hopefully you can get yours out. No amount of hammering, heating, pounding, beating, swearing has ever worked for me. Then again I'm usually working on rusty Michigan junk.

I couldn't get mine out either, so I put everything back together. When I took it to a shop, the side that I tried came out. The side that I didn't try was stuck. I told them to drench the right side and come back to it the next day. They called me the next day and said that it came out finally with penetrant and an air hammer. Btw, this was over a year ago on a 95 with 74k on her. I hope this helps.

The bolt is actually pretty easy to cut once you get through the outer case. I've had to cut a few by hand with a hacksaw.

Out of everything I have done on my car that one bolt stands out above everything else as the biggest pain in the neck. I soaked it in penetrating oil and used air hammers, twisted and turned on it. I took 3 hours and many words to get it out. It is a pita

Ken

I bought new LCAs to go with my new front shocks, specifically to ease this problem. I haven't tried putting them on yet, though.

How hard is it to get the camber bolt out (LCA to frame)?

lol I get to find out for myself today as I attempt to get that bolt out of there.I have to do 4 ,I'm switching my front shocks from my 89 to 90. so both fronts off the 90 and both front off the 89.It's going to be a FUN day

Back