PDA

View Full Version : What to do....

mduralia
01-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Ok. I have seen the potential problems from not replacing the Harmonic balancer and the motor mounts. On a limited budget, which should you do first?

Please vote!

Thanks,

Mike.

89XR7TD
01-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Ok. I have seen the potential problems from not replacing the Harmonic balancer and the motor mounts. On a limited budget, which should you do first?

Please vote!

Thanks,

Mike.

you can still drive with a busted motor mount carefully, but you can't drive around with a busted HB! Think about that...:eek:

David Neibert
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Motor mounts.

Right now the only company making a replacement balancer is BHJ, and since they are the only game in town, the prices are excessive. Unless you need a balancer right now, then wait because there is another company that will be offering more resonably priced SC balancers soon. I'm also expecting to see a dramatic drop in the price of BHJ balancers at the same time.

Look in the new products and services forum for more info.

David

JStudrawa
01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
you can still drive with a busted motor mount carefully, but you can't drive around with a busted HB! Think about that...:eek:

You can drive for YEARS with broken motor mounts. Hell, most people have no clue their stock liquid filled ones are broke. Also, you can drive with a broken driver side one like a MOFO if you choose (makes an annoying thumping sound though).

XR7inWI
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
You can drive for YEARS with broken motor mounts.
Till you wear a hole in your oil pan that is...

mduralia
01-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks to all who responded. It's a 50/50 split so guess I should do both!

David Neibert - who is the new company for the balancers and when will the balancers be available?

I've read all the archieves of how to change motor mounts. My factory manual says that I can do this simply by:

Remove Fan guard
Disconnect air cleaner
Raise Engine
Replace mounts (LH may require sub frame lowering)
Reinstall

I've read others doing much more...any thoughts?

ndoftyme69
01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
on a real limited budget, my lx thunderbirds driver side mount broke, i just chained the engine down and drove it like that even got a trade in deal with the chain on it, lol.