Who spliced their A/F ratio gauge directly to the EEC? Have some ?'s

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Trying to finish hooking up the gauges to finish the interior in the 89. My original plan was to wire the Gauge to each O2 signal wires going to the EEC, but man....its a royal MESS in there...tons of harnesses, connectors, no space and i dont know if I have room to even maneuver a quick-connect clamp in there! So many wires I cant even begin to look for the appropriate colored ones. Tried bringing down the EEC but there's not enough harness to come down and give me good room to work. Any suggestions? Anywhere else along the harness that I might tap into it?

I'd like to keep the connections inside if possible so im trying to avoid having to run yet two more wires to each O2 sensor....I already have 7 running out of the steering boot:D . Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

Any suggestions?

Yes...my suggestion is that you don't waste your time installing those worthless gauges. The stock o2 sensors don't have a wide enough range to provide any usefull info. The gauge will go red when you lift the throttle and green when you press it. The rest of the time it cycles back and forth, back and forth in an endless cycle of red, orange and green lights.

It's only useful for impressing kids who don't know anything or to amuse yourself while sitting in traffic. After about a month or two, you will be driven to near insanity by the constantly flashing lights (especially annoying at night).

David

PS: I hooked mine up on the EEC harness. Do a search on "A/F ratio gauge wiring" and you should be able to find the exact wire number and color for each bank.

Actually David...i read that post of yours and thats why I decided to splice at the EEC and not at the sensors:D . But like I said...i took the glove box out, and the bottom cover thing...and man, its a mess! Did you take the actual EEC out to splice the wires? I already know the color codes and the pin numbers...but looking at that awful mess of wires and no room made me run and ask for other suggestions.

As far as the gauge goes, i agree its no wideband, but to some degree i guess u can keep an eye on whats going on. Besides, i needed an extra gauge to fill the 3 gauge pod and no way in hell could I afford an electric fuel pressure gauge:) . OH, and im hooking both banks to a DPDT switch with an OFF position...i also read about the 'light show' and if I get tired of it the solution is only a FLIP away......but that will be after i hook up the danged thing!

CaifanSC said:
Actually David...i read that post of yours and thats why I decided to splice at the EEC and not at the sensors:D . But like I said...i took the glove box out, and the bottom cover thing...and man, its a mess! Did you take the actual EEC out to splice the wires? I already know the color codes and the pin numbers...but looking at that awful mess of wires and no room made me run and ask for other suggestions.

As far as the gauge goes, i agree its no wideband, but to some degree i guess u can keep an eye on whats going on. Besides, i needed an extra gauge to fill the 3 gauge pod and no way in hell could I afford an electric fuel pressure gauge:) . OH, and im hooking both banks to a DPDT switch with an OFF position...i also read about the 'light show' and if I get tired of it the solution is only a FLIP away......but that will be after i hook up the danged thing!

Get a 10mm socket and a 1/4" rachet and unbolt the harness connector from the EEC and pull the harness out into the footwell so that you have some room to work on it. The big plastic connector that unbolts from the EEC will have numbers on it for each of the wires. Locate the correct number and then using a small wire tap, attach the wires for your A/F gauges. Then put some tape around the wires and the wire tap to keep it secured.

You can't really do it with the harness attached to the EEC. I'll see if I can find the correct wire numbers for you later tonight. But I'm telling you...your gonna hate it.

David

David Neibert said:
But I'm telling you...your gonna hate it.

David
No he's not. He's gonna take it over to College Park and try to impress all the college girls with his sparkly gauges!! :p :D :p

Ah youth........ (sigh)

Ira

I hooked mine up to the EEC, I used my Haynes (Chiltons?) to figure out which wires to hook up into.

And that was really it, beside the backlight, then I had the pretty light show going on in my dash.

AAAhhh, got it wired today. Just pulled the harness like David said and freaking searched for the wires...that was a pain. FYI on an 89, at least on automatics like mine, the pins are 43 and 29. 43 (Tan/Red) for the left side and 29 (Tan/Orange) for the right side.

I was under the impression from looking at other threads that the pins were 43 and 44, but when I got the harness out there was a pin 43 and nothing in pin 44. So i remembered that in my 89 EVTM it said pin 29 for the right side HEGO sensor and, indeed, it was the T/O wire in pin 29.

Ira, get ready man...once its running im going to give the Terp chix a light show! :)

The ladies get all sorts of wet over this stuff ! :D

Except for mine, if she had her way I wouldn't ever get to work on my cars. :p

Last edited:
CaifanSC said:
Ira, get ready man...once its running im going to give the Terp chix a light show! :)

Good luck with that! I know one who won't be impressed, but then, she's already seen the crazy stuff we do with these cars! ;) But I will be sure to warn her to look out for your car when I see her this weekend :eek:

Glad to hear that you got it working though!

Ira

Back