Anyone Want A Tci Rattler For Their 3.8???

22lbsofboost

heres the deal.i called TCI today and ask if i can use a 302 or maybe a 351 balancer for my 3.8. the TCI rattler is an awesome unit. he says if i can get 50 folks together he can build us RATTLERS for our SC's!!!! he has my number, is going to his engineers to look at some specs on an SC motor to see what they can come up with. he says he can build out pretty quick, couple weeks once he gets our money.
anyone game?

http://www.tciauto.com/rattler.htm

You may want to get Dave Dalke involved in this as he's been working on an alternative product.

I'd go with it to help the buy along even though I currently have a BHJ, but I think if we get any new aftermarket balancer we really need to have one that is SFI certified. We currently don't have a SFI certified option and that's what we need.

Note a GM Small block TCI Rattler is showing under $280 at summit

TCI Rattler is better then a BHJ..And BHJ does make SFI approved balancers for our cars.

Just put up a group buy..

Remember the 89-93 is different then 94/95 units

theirs is good to 12500 rpms sfi certified. i think that might work for us lol.
like you said, any additional aftermarket support we can muster up is only gonna help us in the future. professional products is another one im trying to talk to. my machininst buys balancers from them for a lot of his customers and he priced a balancer for my friends 347 for 70 dollars!!!!!!!!!!! so if we can get those guys to build a budget minded alternative for our "broke" brethren(read, me) so we'll see how that pans out also ill post that here too. professional products is already making a supercoupe specific affordable throttle body, and they make other dampers, so they should bite. yeah cost....damn i didnt ask him im a meathead sometimes. :p

I talked to pro products about a balancer, and they told me they would require like 500 balancers to make one...

I would see if the 3.8 Mustang boys were interested in a rattler, anyone know about their crank trigger ring???

I wonder what the rattler would cost?

What price would we be at if we did buy 500 of the Professional Products mounts?

[Edited to clarify my statement.]

Last edited:
A cheaper design would be to make all the units the same and have a bolt-on rear section for the different crank triggers to mount. So when you order, they just include the correct rear mount for your year SC.

Yeah, a nice design would be with a press on hub, that the balancer can then bolt to. Not sure if that style would meet SFI needs though.

I wouldn't use a Prof. Products balancer if someone gave it to me. Used a 'SFI' approved piece on my 355 dirt motor spinning 6500. In 5 weeks the out hub broke loose and spun on the center.

The best bet would be to get Mustang guys involved. The number of SC people looking for a good balancer is probably relatively low with several 100 BHJs being sold already.

Super Six Motorsports was looking to sell SFI approved BHJ units. When I had the original design done, I didn't have the $10,000 for SFI testing. The units available were made with similar specs as their SFI units. Same steel bar stock for the hub and same elastomer holding it together. The only change from their 'normal' SFI units was to use an iron outer ring instead of steel.

If you can swing it, it would be great to have another option.

Ya, believe it or not the first run of SC balancers was a whopping 5. They were about $450 each if memory serves. I tried to get others involved, but no parts source thought it was worth the investment. I'd seen all the posts about broken balancers and wasn't going to fall into that club as well.

Certain years of the Muskrat 3.8 were internal balanced like the SC motors. I believe it's from 2001 up. Same for the 4.2s. I think some if not all of the 4.2s were internal balance.

Back