clean this ? goes here ? pics :)

Spider

ok im cleaning the throtle asembly casue i got the gaskets in my intake manifold gasket set. so in these pictures shoudl i clean what is shown in picture... and also whiel i was looknig at stuff i noticed this hose was cut. looks like the hose has been cut for a while, i also remembered this other cut hose by my valve cover that was cut and i had no idea what it was. do these hoses connect to eah other ?

Last edited:
The hose cut by your valve cover could be your PCV valve, not sure. The cut hose on the throttle body was so coolant could flow through it. If you aren't losing all of your coolant I'm sure its been bypassed. The thing your asking about cleaning is your IAC. Generally it's a good idea to leave them alone, but if you really want to you you can use some non caustic eletric contact cleaner. The plastic diaphraghm tends to get brittle when explosed to cleaners and breaks, then you need a new IAC.

well i was thinknig that the hose thats cut by the valve cover was the same hose by the valve body since the rubber and the cut looks like it was done by the same person. its basicly the only hose that matches each other that doesnt alreay have a home.
the hose by valve cover is connected to the steel pipe running in front of the valve cover. could this be a steel pipe for coolant ? mybee it connects to where the coolant goes underneath the valve body ? it was drivin 40 mins on the freeway before it was parked and the radiator was full when in garage so im also thnknig mybee its not coolant.
i would really like to find a home for these two hose since i liek a well put together vechicle :) mybee i should wait untill i get it back together and see waht empty places i have left...
i also took out my AC and will be jsut putting back in the unit with the pulley attached

well i got spray for cleaning electrical stuff like alternators and crap that i got from the auto store. shoudl i use this or really just leave it be ?
it looks liek threads inside and they look coated in gunk. unless it will be ok ill just leave it be.

thanks for the response its knowledge that will help me now and in the future :)

Last edited:
The "Gunk" is oil deposits from your PCV Valve. Those aren't threads, that is actually a bellow (like an accordian). If it gets brittle, a hole will likely occur in the bellow.

What happened on mine after cleaning IAC: The EEC thought the IAC is closed when it is letting air through the hole from cleaning it, my O2's then told the EEC that it is running too rich, yet the MAF and IAC are saying something else to the EEC. In other words the car idled around 2500 to 3000 rpm's and dumped massive amounts of fuel into the cylinders washing the cylinder walls and getting gas in my oil/pan. The EEC was confused as the I was trying to fix the car, and it threw out ghost codes from everything except the IAC.

Don't clean it! I did, and regret the trouble it caused. Just leave it the heck alone. There have been many people experience problems after "cleaning" the IAC. They run about $65 new, if your lucky and replace it first and don't replace everything else from injectors, TPS, O2 Sensors, etc trying to find the problem.:eek:

That line in the last picture should be the line running either to or from the heater core (I cant remember which side is which :p) and thats where the line going to the TB would have been. If it's bypassed you're good though.

Unlike other fords you cannot clean this IAC it will fall apart. Check for cracking of teh plastic diaphram. personally I;d replace it

Damon

That broken line in your third picture is the line that goes into your throttle body where it is torn off of in your first picture. This line circulate coolant throught the throttle body to heat it up. All it really does is create a power loss.

If I were you I would take the lines off of each side of the throttle body and make a bypass.

Last edited:
cool thank you :)

how does it create a power loss ? heat creates power loss and cooler creates more power ?

i think ill just leave the AIC alone :p

also i was gonna put my AIC back on but i dont knwo what way it goes back on, as it can go on boths ways but not sure what ways the right way so i took pictures :)

looking at the Sig above it looks liek it should be Pic #2 ?

Last edited:
Spider,

The IAC should be mounted so that the electrical connector plugs in from the top, and so it will be aimed back towards the other electrical sensor on the TB, the Throttle Position Sensor or TPS.

Good luck!

Sean

ok thanks im a noob :p i dont have problems liek this with other cars but these thunderbirds are in a class of there own and not for the novice mechanic :eek:

Back