Mysterious box in front of the battery

Rob91

Found this box inside the engine compartment, just in front of the battery. :confused:
I had to cut a green/black wire going to this box to get the high beams work properly (high beams turned themselves on and off at times). I have installed relays on both high and low beams, and I traced the error back to this box. The seal was slightly cracked, so I opened it up and found that water had corroded some parts inside. I tried to fix it but no luck. So I cut the wire and the lights have worked perfectly since then –only thing is that the high beam indicator lamp in the dash is not working any longer.

Just wonder what else this box is doing? “Made in UK” :eek:

Attachments

• DSC02944.jpg
    DSC02944.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC02947.jpg
    DSC02947.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02948.jpg
    DSC02948.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 115
It could be, but auto dim is not installed. But everything seems to work just fine without it being connected...

Daytime Running Light module I'm assuming. The EVTM does show a green/black wire going into and coming out of that box.

That would be the daytime running light module. Cars built for Canadian sale had them because of the law here. Where was your car originally sold or produced for?

If you're interested, there is a small jumper plug you can plug in to the harness, in place of the module. F0FZ 14489 A is the Ford part number, it's about $10 CAN. The parking brake warning light on the dash goes through the circuit as well, because most Ford cars with this system are hooked up to turn off the DRLs when the parking brake is engaged.

Replacement module is p/n F43Z 15A272 A, about $110 CAN.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks for the great info!! :)
The car was actually bought from a dealer in Everett in Washington –not far from the border. Maybe that explains why all the stickers in the engine compartment (and elsewhere) are both in English and French?? :eek:

Will that box turn the tail lights on as well, or is that for the head lights only? I live in Norway where DRL is mandatory so it would be nice to get it back in working order.

Thanks!

That's just for the headlights. If that is a Canadian car it should also have the better, imo, manual seatbelts. Very nice.

Yea, they call them passive restraint shoulder harness belts. The connecting belt runs in a track that runs from behind your head on the B pillar to the forward lower portion of the A pillar. Can be a pain in the arse if it doesn't auto retract when the door is opened & closed.

Rob91 said:
Thanks for the great info!! :)
The car was actually bought from a dealer in Everett in Washington –not far from the border. Maybe that explains why all the stickers in the engine compartment (and elsewhere) are both in English and French?? :eek:

Will that box turn the tail lights on as well, or is that for the head lights only? I live in Norway where DRL is mandatory so it would be nice to get it back in working order.

Thanks!

i live in marysville and grew up in everett :)

i live in marysville and grew up in everett

As far as I remembered previous owner lived there a couple a years before he moved back to Norway. He bought the car at "Harris Ford", Lynnwood, but lived in Everett. Maybe you saw him racing in the streets :)

auto seatbelts...

Sorry for not being clear –the car has auto seatbelts. And I know about the problems :( But it's fun also -as most people have never seen such automatic wonders over here. :cool:

Rob91 - PLEASE post more pics of your car in Norway! Looked at your member page and those are great pics but would LOVE to see more!

thanks!

'bird

Man, those pics are postcard perfect! Gotta hand it to ya though, being out there on the road in the mountains in a Super Coupe :eek:

Don't know if you're brave or crazy or both :D :D :D :D :D

LOL!

Hope to see those pics when you are done!

'bird

Back