Intercooler Air Guide?

Dirk SC

Does the rubber air guide actually do any good or can I get rid of it. To me it looks like it would restrict air more than catch it.

if your talking about the rubber bellows in front of the i/c it's there to make sure the i/c gets cold air from the outside ran directly through it.if you didn't have it your i/c wouldn't cool the air charge as efficiently as with it

Here's another theory. Mine's been gone for about a year now and I haven't noticed a difference. I think that the IC gets better flow around the sides without it (theoretically).

Air is like water and electricity, it takes the path of least resistance. Also, airflow is largely dependent on pressure differential. If you eliminate the pressure differential accross the core and allow the air an easier path, then the last place it is going to go is through the IC. ;)

10" 900 CFM DIC Fan

XR7 Dave said:
If you eliminate the pressure differential accross the core and allow the air an easier path, then the last place it is going to go is through the IC.
Hence my 10" 900 cfm DIC Fan.

68COUGAR

Yeah, I don't think flow around the sides is all that helpful. Right through the 5-hole is what I want to see.

i too thought it was a silly contraption being the inside dimensions of the bellows is smaller than the IC itself. i made an cardboard cover for the one in the red car. just slipped over the IC when i needed it, and when i needed a little extra balls, i would pull it out and cram a bag of ice in between the IC and the condensor, then ice the blower, and make a run or 2. you can make the template with cardboard, then find a metal shop in your area. they copied my template to DIAMOND PLATE (thats all they had at the time) for 20 bucks. i still have that thing around here somewhere unless i gave it to mike puckett with my old red car

I think if you have an IC fan, it doesn't matter if the bellows are there or not. The air is gonna go through the fan. It is nice to have the center of the header panel hogged out so I can put a whole bag of ice against the front of the intercooler. I need a front mount:p

Back