what do I latch onto, im pulling the motor?

mywhite89

I am pulling my motor on the supercoupe finally. I've got the engine already to be pulled. Tearing it down was a lot easier then what a lot of people on here made it out to be. I was scurred at first!

Anyways, I would like a pointer on what I should latch on to, so as to pull this baby out.

I was thinking either from the exhaust manifold bolts on either side of the engine, or on the heads themselves. But when I'm re-installing the motor, I worry that i might disrupt the seating of the headgaskets by lifting the motor from the heads instead of the block itself.

Hope thats understandable! thanks for some well appreciatd help

LoL. That's what my old 93 lx 3.8 had. this beast doesn't have them on there anymore. guy who owned them before me must have taken them off for weight reduction:rolleyes: , who knows.

Thanks, thats what I was afraid of. I'll find another way.

On both my sc's there was only one lifting bracket...on the passingers side, but none on the drivers side. The two times i've pulled an engine i've used a hook on the bracket in the passingers side and a bolt through the chain bolted to the back of the head.

I just installed my engine yesterday, I ended up adding another one of those lift brackets on the very last outlet in the manifold and it worked great and it doesnt get in the way of things. I duno, but i doubt that will have any effect in your headgaskets. If i recall correctly i've seen v8's being lifted into the engine bay with a bracket screwed to the intake manifold.

i just use a couple of the head bolts in the deck but thats with the heads off.
bellhousing bolt and then one of the bolts in the front of the head is how i do a 302. i used the intake bolts on the 440 in the fury. also used the header bolts on a 360 i did in my old ramcharger

Some of the 3.8s had lifting brackets and some didn't. At least, I don't think either of mine did.

I aint got no lifting brckets i know of on my 35th...

Can anyone verify if lifting with front/back of heads is Ok for the new HGs???

I'd be afraid it would disturb the HGs also.

How do the Dave's pull their motor:eek:

lol youre not gonna hurt anything. danged ol metal is hard stuff. ive NEVER had trouble with a motor because of how i raised it up out of the hole. i HAVE however bent a bolt or 2 from being careless woth a motor on a hoist. when youve done dozens, youll find a place to hook to :) im leaving my hooks off of mine too along with the ultra retarded factory heater hoses if you move these items a plug job is so much easier. the 89 gt i had had hooks on both sides, as did the 92 f150 i had with a 351 W. im not sure why the didnt give is 2. i reckon the joke's on us

sizemoremk said:
I aint got no lifting brckets i know of on my 35th...

Can anyone verify if lifting with front/back of heads is Ok for the new HGs???

I'd be afraid it would disturb the HGs also.

How do the Dave's pull their motor:eek:

I use a chain and bolt to the ends of the heads. One end of the chain attached to the passenger side front, the other end on the drivers side rear. Doing it this way requires removal of the accesory bracket that holds the AC compressor.

David

Alright, thats what I did, cept I used rear passenger, driver front.

I just wasn't sure about putting it back in that way...

Thanks guys!!!

One chain on the driver side front, one chain to the passenger side rear.
tightfitsmall.jpg

22lbsofboost said:
i just use a couple of the head bolts in the deck but thats with the heads off.
bellhousing bolt and then one of the bolts in the front of the head is how i do a 302. i used the intake bolts on the 440 in the fury. also used the header bolts on a 360 i did in my old ramcharger

I have a bare bottom end to pull out. Are you saying the best way for me to take it out is to thread a couple head bolts into the deck and then attach my load leveler hooks to those?

i just did one like that not 2 weeks ago. worked pretty good but i dont have a load leveler, i just used a chain. rednecks do it the hard way ya know:)

If you're concerned about the deck surface you'll want to use some sort of hunk of wood or other item to insulate the deck from the chain. But yes, you can just bolt to that.

You could also use the motor mount bolt holes to lift on one side and the rear of the engine for the other.

lift engine

ok that answers my questions. Thanks for the re-assurance fellas. I borrowed a couple engine hoist brackets from work today so the chains don't rub against the heads, i should be gtg.

Im sure you guys know what the bracket on the passingers side looks like, but i dont know if it was a last minute change or what...but at least on the ford shop manual it looks like we were supposed to get a bracket like in the pic bellow.

plug_pic2.gif

My 89 had a loop bolted to the manifold right around there. However, it wasn't NEARLY as tall as that picture shows. I left it off when installing my headers. Thought I could always bolt it back on if I needed to pull the motor from that point.

Micah

When I changed my engine in 2004, the new engine had brackets. My old engine didn't. I also attached a chain to the other two corners. Ran the chain thru the load leveler. With this hook up you are able to get a lot of angle and engine will stay level left to right. If I did this correctly there should be a link to a previous post with some pics.

Take Care
dbd

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=449445&postcount=3

Back