No heat

Chrismiss

I just bought this car and I went to drive it one morning and realized I had no heat. So I start poking around. Temperature select linkage is fine, the warm cold door moves ok. I gat under the hood and like I figured I find cut hoses. The previous owner seems to have bypassed the connections on the firewall completely and just has one long hose worked around the back of the motor and just looped it around. There is also a hose that starts out rubber and transition into metal that feel like it leads to the back of the SC somewhere.

I guess my question is, did they do this because the heater core was bad? Also any thought what the other hose is? Thanks in advance.

That metal tube is comin' from the driverside. The large heater hose that leads around the driverside has a smaller one branching off of it near the return plenum. This small hose goes around the back of the engine towards the passengerside, turns to metal and is bolted to the rear of the cylinder heads. It continues towards the passengerside and turns into rubber again (the section in your pic) and heads up to the outboard side of the throttle body flange. Exits the flange and then connects to the large heater hose near the passenger valve cover.

ya get all that? :D

If not, I have a coupla spare SC engines out in the carport, can snap a pic for ya.

'bird

Chrismiss said:
Sort of all makes sense to me. A few pics would be great. Does this explain the no heat?
The heater core not bein' hooked up might be a factor...

Just connect some hoses to the core and throw some Prestone StopLeak in and it'll do fine until you get in the mood to change the core. The stuff from Prestone is in a lil yellow jug, it's shaped like a baby antifreeze jug, best stopleak in the world. You don't hafta drain the system or air it out or anything, just set it and forget it!

By goin' the stopleak route you can forget about the small tubes and just cap them off. They're just for warmin' up the throttle body, not needed here on the Gulf Coast...or anywhere else for that matter...just sumthin' else that can spring a leak :mad:

'bird

Back