Seriously need some help to get my SC back on the road

JimmyDean

The main problem right now with my SC is that it wont start. It doesnt even turn over, the only thing that happens is the relay(?) on the driver side fenderwall clicks. It just clicks when I short it too, so giving the starter 12v doesnt do anything. I was down by the starter messing with it forever, and it still wont start. The wires appear to be good. Do you think its the starter? If so, how do I remove it to test it?

Another thing, when I first got the car it leaked a few drips of oil. Now its really pouring out of there. I think it might be the valve covers because everytime I shut my car off after 1 minute or so of running smoke from oil burning off the manifolds is all over the underhood area. I really am having trouble tightening these, am I gonna have to remove the upper IC tube and intake tube to get to them?

Last edited:
Could be a dud starter because i do marine work and we get "bad" starters sometimes and what happends to them is they get wet and seize up OR a winding melts/breaks but it could be something different but just thought i might try

Make sure the small wire with the push on spade connector is TIGHT. I had the exact same problem and after cleaning that connection then squeezing it on tight with a small vise grips it has worked perfect ever since (6 months or so).

If that don't do it, then it is likely that your starter has gone tits up.

In regards to the Oil Leak....It is very common to have the valve covers loosen up. Simply SNUG them all down and try to clean up as best you can for later leak checking.

The start problem was covered well by Tracy above...

Pretty clean engine bay...I ussually never like it when the Letters & Lines are painted on the Top and the IC tube but with JUST the letters painted in black it actually looks nice.

Hope you get your car running soon.

Cheers,

Brad

Back