Weight reduction: Where to start?

Terrible Juan

Well, my 9.99 @ 69mph pass at the local 1/8th mile track didn't make me very happy, and I know she can do better if she went on a diet. I was wondering where I should start?

I already plan on pulling all the AC equipment and the rear seat, but besides that...? Not a daily driver, BTW.

if your only running 1/8th mile drop the hood, inner fender splash gaurds, gut the front bumper, uhhh lemme think........

rear swaybar (front if you're brave), radio, ABS swap, transfer the battery to the trunk for weight on the rear wheels, metal bracket behind power steering pulley, ARC sensors, ABS and ARC CPUs in the rear package tray (after ABS swap).

RBH Racing said:
if your only running 1/8th mile drop the hood, inner fender splash gaurds, gut the front bumper, uhhh lemme think........

Sorry for the misconception of turning it into a drag car. I'm not turning it into a drag car, I just used my track time to illustrate how slow my car is, LOL. I want it to be quick around town and to handle through the twisties, but I know I'll need to get rid of some excess baggage. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Seats for sure, I just carried them out to install in my car and I do believe it sank the springs down some!

7birdslater said:
Seats for sure, I just carried them out to install in my car and I do believe it sank the springs down some!

I agree with 7birdslater I took mine out and replace them with lightweight racing buckets feels like they weigh over 75 lbs a piece compared to the new 20 lbs a piece. Hate to state the obvious but also remove the spare tire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Removed so far:

Entire rear seat
Lower rear seatbelts
All carpeting and sound deadening in the rear seat floor area
Entire carpet paneling in the trunk
Factory amp for subwoofer (wasn't working anyways)
Factory JBL subwoofer (also not working)
Windshield washer fluid reservoir.

I can hear every single piece of loose asphalt hit the undercarriage of my car now, haha. I'll probably remove the fenderwells next but I'll need to make a cover for the CAI since it goes to the fenderwell. I don't want my car drinking water. :)

my car went from 3940 with me in it, to 3110 with me out of it.
You can get the weight down easily, but you said its not an all out drag car.

I'm still looking to pull another 4-500 out of this thing.

Terrible Juan said:
I can hear every single piece of loose asphalt hit the undercarriage of my car now, haha.

sheeot i can hear all that and i have factory everything in my car lol :p

Just curious... since you have the back seat area all stripped.. is there a big hump going from side to side where the front part of the rear bottom seat sat? If so, cut that out... im sure it weights a pretty good amount. We cut them out of mustangs and they are pretty heavy (cant remember #'s off top of my head)

Blown 91 Bird said:
sheeot i can hear all that and i have factory everything in my car lol :p

Just curious... since you have the back seat area all stripped.. is there a big hump going from side to side where the front part of the rear bottom seat sat? If so, cut that out... im sure it weights a pretty good amount. We cut them out of mustangs and they are pretty heavy (cant remember #'s off top of my head)

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Are you referring to fox Mustangs? I had my rear seat out in that as well but I can't recall ever hearing people do that and I'm pretty damn active on the 'stang boards.

Back