PDA

View Full Version : long scratch mark on driver window..

sabre81
07-27-2002, 06:31 PM
theres a bar of scratches that goes from the top of my window to the bottom. im guessing its a roller or something thats marking it up. Can the glass be fixed? And anyone know the cause of this? ( my old lx did it too)

thanks

OneSweet89SC
07-27-2002, 06:36 PM
I've got the same thing on my driver's side window. I'd like to know what causes it too. Someone said last year when I posted it was from dirt in the molding, but I doubt that. I've been to a couple glass shops, and have been told that if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, it's not coming out :( I ended up tinting my windows and now I use Mother's Back to Black on the scratch and it's only noticeable in certain lights, and that is just barely.

SCme94
07-28-2002, 07:09 AM
If the scratch is in the middle of the glass it is probably being caused by the rubbing block that pushes the glass against the outer door. The felt covering wears off and the metal underneath scratches the glass.
If you take off the door panel and then pull up the lower belt moulding you will see it.

It is true that if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail they cant really be fixed.

sizemoremk
07-09-2004, 08:41 AM
If the scratch is in the middle of the glass it is probably being caused by the rubbing block that pushes the glass against the outer door. The felt covering wears off and the metal underneath scratches the glass.
If you take off the door panel and then pull up the lower belt moulding you will see it.

It is true that if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail they cant really be fixed.

Is there no way they can heat it back up and let the scratch flow back togehter????

I've always had this scratch, and I did find this felt block, and replkaced the felt.

I want to get my windows tinted also, but wouldn't the scratch in the glass cuase the tint to bubble up?

WiscoAndy
07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
there are two contacts points to the glass, one on the outside is what Tony mentioned . If you pull off the outside lower weatherstrip (one screw on inside top of door, rest are clips that pull out) you will see this wear area.
That strip will cost about 50.00 and is still available from Ford. If your glass is already scratched , you can change out the molding before it gets worse.
The other point is a felt pad that contacts the inside glass. If that has a chunk of dirt on it then your tint can suffer as well. Just peel back the weather strip inside and out and peek in there to see the felt pad. Just be carefull pulling that strip off if you intend to re-use it because you can bend it close to the door handle easily.
Andy

Jeremy_K
07-10-2004, 01:43 PM
on the inside of my windows i completely removed the guide block altogether. i've never had any problems with the inside scratching again. my driver side window is scratched on the outside though. the tint will be on the inside so just get rid of that felt and rubber block.