Splicing O2 wires?

7birdslater

My drivers side O2 isnt hooked up at all. I found this yesterday when looking at my codes. I tried to hook it up but it wont reach. Its a good 3 or 4 inches shorter than it needs to be. This sensor looks newer than the stuff around it, so im guessing someone put it in, found out it wouldnt reach and gave up. Will it hurt anything to splice in a longer connector and just plug it in? I would use environmental splices and wrap them good. Thanks.

I don't see why not as long as you use the same gauge wire. However the 4 wires on the sensor are very small and probably need very neat soldering. Otherwise just buy a new sensor with the longer harness - I believe 9", 11" & 13" are available because of the different model stock harnesses.

7birdslater said:
My drivers side O2 isnt hooked up at all. I found this yesterday when looking at my codes. I tried to hook it up but it wont reach. Its a good 3 or 4 inches shorter than it needs to be. This sensor looks newer than the stuff around it, so im guessing someone put it in, found out it wouldnt reach and gave up. Will it hurt anything to splice in a longer connector and just plug it in? I would use environmental splices and wrap them good. Thanks.

Bill at SCP sells the O2 lead extensions. It is your best bet and is worry free.

When I installed my long tube headers, I needed to splice about 30 inches into each side. I used regular 18 guage wire and they have been working fine for a couple years now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the enviro splices first and if it gives me any problems, I will just throw some new sensors in it.

Bosch Oxygen Sensor 16.5" lead
Part Number: 15718

Bosch Oxygen Sensor 13" lead
Part Number: 15717

Thanks for the part numbers. If this sensor doesnt work I will have to use the longer one. It looks new enough to at least try splicing.

Back