pro-m maf

Rick Mink

Where can I can my pro=m maf recalibrated for 60 lb injectors? Is there anything special that I need to tell them??

Rick

Best Products/Pro-M are out of business. I believe Granitelli (not sure of spelling) has taken over their product line. So I'd try their web-site first. Otherwise if you can find one of Pro-M's Optimizers - you can adjust the MAF voltage manually.

Rick you have a EEC Tuner why would you want you'r MAF recalibrated??? Unless you are pegging it you are wasting money and will have less resolution.

BKB said:
Rick you have a EEC Tuner why would you want you'r MAF recalibrated??? Unless you are pegging it you are wasting money and will have less resolution.
Maybe he's already pegging the current calibration.

Even if you are pegging the MAF you only want a match the MAF to your HP. Having a MAF calibrated for 60lb injectors would probably be good for around 750rwhp. You only have 30 lines of resolution and no sense in wasting them on flow you can never acheive.

I would tend to disagree with that. First of all 60 lb injectors will NOT support 750hp on an SC. It is my opinion from tuning these cars that 60lb injectors will support about 500rwhp. I have seen SC's go 100% duty cycle with 42's at about 320rwhp on an AOD and 350rwhp on a 5spd many times. BSFC is higher than you might think.

Second, having an MAF that matches your injectors can be a big plus if you are having tuning issues or aren't a pro at tuning. The only changes necessary to run 60lb injectors with a properly calibrated MAF is to ratio displacement and cranking fuel.

Third, pegging the MAF is only part of the problem. 89-93 SC processors cannot calculate more than 1400KG/hr airflow. This is a processor limitation and not a MAF limitation. If you try to force the processor past 1400KG/hr all kinds of unpredictable things happen. Not a good thing.

And finally, "lines of resolution" is a very relative term. The MAF simply puts out a voltage curve. Where you choose to make changes in the tuner file is totally up to you and it is not necessary to lose more than 1-2 lines of resolution in the process. It certainly doesn't result in an issue for either driveability nor tuneability.

IMO it is always the best practice to have an MAF that matches your injectors. If you do that you will never peg your MAF nor over-run your processor. The cost of one wasted tuning session due to a pegged MAF more than pays for the cost of getting the proper calibration in the first place.

We are talking about MAFs not injectors in all my dyno tunes if you are running 42lb injectors and a matching 42lb MAF the injectors will max out before the MAF. I have had some blow-threws that would peg meters but that is to be expected.
The problem is the majority of people dont know how or that they need to change there displacment to keep the load tables in check. If you just slap on a MAF calibrated for 60 lb injectors then your fuel and timing maps are all out of wack. Sad part is many tuners i have spoke with really have no clue what they are doing either. Pro-Ms are hard enough to tune, i have had the best luck with OEM ford MAFs like the lightning 90mm. Hell im running a 89MM Pro-M calibrated for 24lb Cobra and its good for over 350rwhp, BTW point 29 on my meter is 4.55V 1406.75 KG/HR above the 89-93 SCs MAX 1,400kg/hr so why go any bigger then that???

BKB said:
We are talking about MAFs not injectors in all my dyno tunes if you are running 42lb injectors and a matching 42lb MAF the injectors will max out before the MAF. I have had some blow-threws that would peg meters but that is to be expected.
The problem is the majority of people dont know how or that they need to change there displacment to keep the load tables in check. If you just slap on a MAF calibrated for 60 lb injectors then your fuel and timing maps are all out of wack. Sad part is many tuners i have spoke with really have no clue what they are doing either. Pro-Ms are hard enough to tune, i have had the best luck with OEM ford MAFs like the lightning 90mm. Hell im running a 89MM Pro-M calibrated for 24lb Cobra and its good for over 350rwhp, BTW point 29 on my meter is 4.55V 1406.75 KG/HR above the 89-93 SCs MAX 1,400kg/hr so why go any bigger then that???

Fortunately most of the guys here have only about 3 different tuners they go to for assistance so they stand a much higher chance of getting correct info than the general public does. :)

Changing displacement is very easy to do, much easier than entering a whole new transfer function. ;)

The thing I have run into is that while the basic architecture of all Ford EEC's is similar, the early SC processors seem to have some limitations that are not run into on later processors meaning that it is a much more reliable approach to tuning not to enter an MAF function that exceeds the flow capabilities of the processor. For example, I have used both the C&L Tuner MAF and the SCT Big Air MAF's with success. However, I was not able to do it by entering the transfer functions provided by the respective companies. The values are too big and the processor simply gives up trying to calculate it. It required some real creative work to get them to function.

For this reason I have found that hand down, C&L meters (73-80mm) work best for SC's. Because they use the stock output curve (more or less) it is not necessary to enter a whole new transfer function. The later model OE Ford meters all try to add resolution at flow levels that are not attainable with the SC processor. That is the problem.

Pmas

Real quick...I bought an 80mm MAF from PMAS it was calibrated of my 60's. Anyways this is the old Pro-M company under new managment. just my 2 cents

Back