OBD1, or OBD2?!?!

thumper

Hey guys. I think I fixed my oil pressure problem. It was just a disconnected vaccuum line! Anyway... My check engine light comes on now. So I took my good ole t-bird down to
autozone for a free "diagnostic test," and first got a 111 code, and then a 126. When the Autozone guy checked the codes, it said it was a MAP sensor. But when the part was looked up, it said not aplicable. The sales guy said this was because during the year my car was made (94), Ford was switching from the OBD1 toi the OBD2 system. Thus my car has a OBD1 computer connection, but OBD2 codes. So I was wondering if any of you fine people might have ran accross this same error code, and could tell me what it is. Thanks again!

All of the Super Coupes regardless of year only got OBD I. Your car does have a BAP (not MAP) sensor that is located underneath the passenger side cowling by the firewall. The MAP has no vacuum line to it, since it measures atmospheric pressure. It will have a cap with a hole in it over where a vacuum line would go on a MAP sensor.

The MAP is manifold absolute pressure and the BAP is barometric absolute pressure. A normally aspirated Thunderbird would use the MAP. Our boosted engines use barometric pressure readings to help the EEC calculate things.

I read the 126 code as MAP/BP sensor higher or lower than expected. The chart I have also says it will activate the check engine light.

Back