rear end noise

sanoe63

I have a drone noise and a vibation coming from the rear end. It starts at 45mph. The noise stops when I let off the gas. I have put new u-joints and new tires on it with no change. Could it be a bad wheel bearing or half shaft?
Thanks,
Scott

The drone could just be old age or low oil in the diff, but the vibration could be a lot of things. If you've already done the U joints then I suggest you put the rear up on jack stands and work the axles for possible play at the diff end (could be diff bearings) or more commonly the hub end, because these cars are prone to wearing out rear wheel bearings. Spin the wheel and work it up and down to listen for grinding & any play. The wheel bearings aren't too bad of a job if you get to them early - just need someone to press the old ones out and new ones in. Think I last paid $30 for the bearing and $20 to a local garage with a press.

The drone could be either the rear wheel bearings or the ring and pinon. The vibration would not be the halfshafts as they are not balanced units, I would think that since you said it goes away when you let off the gas that it could be a motor mount, trans mount or loose accesory brackets because it is only occuring under load.

Is the car a auto or manual?

rear end

The car is auto and it has new motor mounts in it .I was under the car today looking around and when I moved the exaust the tranny was moving. Is that right?
Scott

Since it's an auto that rules out any issues with a clutch.

The tranny should not move

How much did the trans move?

Did it move up and down or side to side?

Based on your description it sounds like your trans mount is not attached. Get under the car and place a jack under the transmission pan (use a 2x4 between the jack and pan so it doesnt hurt the pan). Jack it up slowly and look at the trans crossmember where the tranny mount attaches to the transmission and you will probably see that the mount is torn.

Let us know what you find.

rear end

I can move it up and down about 1/2 inch or so. I'll try jacking it up. Do I have to drop the exhaust to change the mount?
Thanks,
Scott

You can change the mount without removing the exhaust, it is easier if you jack the trans up slightly (mainly to suppport it) take off the trans cross member then remove the two bolts that hold the mount to the trans. Make sure the mount is shot though first. Also get a solid rubber mount since they are about $20 cheaper anyway should be about $30 at Napa.

Dont forget to let us know how it turns out.

Your problem is the 4 bolts securing the driveshaft to the diff flange have become loose. Best bet is to get under there, loctite them, and tighten em down.

It could possibly be the driveshaft but he said it goes away when he is off the gas. When I first bought my 92 it had loose driveshaft bolts and weather your on the gas or not the vibration was there.

what if you have a noise and vibration that increases with speed, but it is worse when you let off the gas? When I get up to about 75-80, I let off the gas and it gets worse. Get back on the gas and it is still there but not as noticeable....the car is a 95 5 speed. Any thoughts?

Back