Valve Springs ??

SuperCoupe007

:) Hey guys;

I want to install a set of ported and polished heads on my SC along with a better camshaft. I want to be able to rev the motor up to 6K RPM, are the stock valve springs good for up to 6K RPM, or should I replace the springs ??? if so what do you guys recommend ????
Thanks...
:)

David Neibert::::

Ooh ok. I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to choose a cam. I know I want to be able to pass SMOG in CALIFORNIA. What do I do recommend ???? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Thanks...

Best Idea!

SuperCoupe007 said:
What do I do recommend ????
I recommend you GTH outa Nazi California, unless you're a tree-hugger. All Tree-Huggers must stay in California!!!!!

68COUGAR

If you want to stay with pedistal mount rockers, you'll need to stay away from the HUGE cams. I've got a .520 lift cam with pedistal mount roller rockers and it works fine. Stock springs with a stock cam should be OK to 6000 rpm unless they are just worn out. If I were replacing valve springs though, I would definately put on a set of comp cams bee hive springs. The ones that fit the LT1 are the right size for our engines. Those are good to over 7000 rpm with a pretty radical cam because of their geometry and harmonics. They don't just use super high pressures to prevent valve bounce or float.

The beehives are not a direct drop in for the 3.8L unless you have aftermarket valves and even then you are limited on lift unless you machine the heads. They are a great spring but they aren't drop in.

I would never use stock springs on any SC engine rebuild. At 75-80lbs seat pressure (measured it numerous times) they just do not measure up IMO. No way on earth I'd run them to 6000rpm. :eek:

XR7 Dave said:
The beehives are not a direct drop in for the 3.8L unless you have aftermarket valves and even then you are limited on lift unless you machine the heads. They are a great spring but they aren't drop in.

I would never use stock springs on any SC engine rebuild. At 75-80lbs seat pressure (measured it numerous times) they just do not measure up IMO. No way on earth I'd run them to 6000rpm. :eek:

I have beehive springs with stock valves and no machine work to the heads.

jose Im running stock springs with a 89 cam bottom cut 50 and adjustable rockers longer pushrods. now and see 6500 regularly. youve rode in my sc its a good street cam and passes calif smog . but hey it hit 6300 with the stock 92 cam

may not be the best but it passes smog .

mannysc::::::::

What does your cut cam come out to be ??? Is it something that a cam company could build ???? or what would you recommend ???
YES!!!! I rode in your SC, that thing is scary fast!!!! :eek: :eek:

Thanks...

Back