Switching from conventional to ABS brakes on my SC

quick35th

Guys I just wanted to know if this was possible given the fact that I have a complete parts 89 XR7 at my disposal. My 92 SC was converted over to conventional brakes before I baught it and now I am playing with the idea to put the ABS back in my SC. What do you guys think of this idea? Can I run the ABS using the ABS computer and wiring but without using the engine computer and all other wiring? Basically is the ABS system independent of all other things on our cars?

Shane

I'm guessing you don't need to mess with the EEC, but just the ABS computers.

I'm wondering what kind of weight savings you have with a conventional master cylinder and no computers in the trunk. I wouldn't mind going conventional as my abs has been disabled for a while now. And I hate that huge friggen master cylinder under the hood.

Micah

Shane, It depends a lot on your personal preference and whether you plan to ever sell it. I'm gonna be buried in my car so I yank everything I don't need. Some people are spoiled and raised on ABS these days so that could hurt resale. Also, consider the cost for reman. parts and the rarity of good replacement pumps, accumulators, and pressure switches. For the cost of my accumulator ball I did the swap to non-ABS. I'll never need to worry about it again though. It's a good feeling whenever you free up space under the hood too (for those of us who work on our own cars).
The non-ABS MC and booster combined weigh about 10lbs. The original ABS is easily double that. I have a couple ABS units in my garage. I can weigh one if you guys want. I haven't removed any of the ABS computer parts yet because I don't know exactly where they are.

-Jeremy

Last edited:
There are a few threads with everything you need for the conversion. Its on my top priority list for my bird once I get a good trans in it. The 89-92 ABS in the earlier cars was properly described as an "abortion" by another member. The safety this ABS provides is totaly wiped out by its horrible reliability.

If you find time to weigh the SC master cylinder...it would be cool. I have a feeling what kind of pain in the azz it will be, just wondering if the gains will be worth it.

Micah

7birdslater said:
There are a few threads with everything you need for the conversion. Its on my top priority list for my bird once I get a good trans in it. The 89-92 ABS in the earlier cars was properly described as an "abortion" by another member. The safety this ABS provides is totaly wiped out by its horrible reliability.

aint that the truth. ABS has never worked since ive owned the car. Id switch but i dont like working on the bird much :mad:

quick35th said:
Guys I just wanted to know if this was possible given the fact that I have a complete parts 89 XR7 at my disposal. My 92 SC was converted over to conventional brakes before I baught it and now I am playing with the idea to put the ABS back in my SC. What do you guys think of this idea? Can I run the ABS using the ABS computer and wiring but without using the engine computer and all other wiring? Basically is the ABS system independent of all other things on our cars?

Shane

I have one, pretty soon I'm gonna have two of those teves monstrosities sitting in my closet, both do not work right, of course.......Wanna buy one?????

paul

Paul,

You wouldn't happen to have a digital pic of where the pressure switch mounts, would you? I may replace that soon, and I'm not sure how to get at it.

Micahdogg said:
If you find time to weigh the SC master cylinder...it would be cool. I have a feeling what kind of pain in the azz it will be, just wondering if the gains will be worth it.

Micah
I weighed one with some fluid still in it and it was 25 pounds. I had the ABS out and all of the wires to it cut in about 20 minutes. The only PITA is installing the new booster. It took a little prying and forcing to get in there the whole time being cautious not to break the pedal linkage. Other than that it's a piece of cake. It's a lot easier with 2 people to line up the studs through the firewall. For the guy doing the pressure switch, you'll need to take the whole ABS unit out (or the engine). There's no way around it. I briefly tried taking the pressure switch out of one of mine that was out of the car and it was super tight. You may need to put it in a vice to really get some leverage.

Back