Window Regulator Assembly Installation

the-big-e

I am having to replace this part inside the drivers side door......

After removing the broken assembly, I tried to install one that I got out of the scrap yard.....

You have to insert the mechanism inside the door and then rotate the mounting bracket under spring tention and then insert 4 pop rivits.....

Then bolt it to the door and window.....

Are there any "tricks of the trade" to install this part?

Figured it out

I got a tip from a fellow Chevy guy and I was able to drill and pin the assembly together.....:D

I had a piece of 5/32 rod and drilled a hole to accept the pin......

I had to adjust the location of the hole so that the middle hole in the mounting bracket lined up with the 10th tooth on the actuator....

This gave me the proper alignment to access the window mounting hardware....

It worked like a charm.....:D

After everthing was bolted up, just install the rivits and pull the pin out....

Then go buy band-aids.......

Attachments

• Window Actuator 001.jpg
    Window Actuator 001.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Window Actuator 002.jpg
    Window Actuator 002.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Anyone care to explain what the window regulator assembly is? My passenger window started to act funny a few days ago. It seems like when you roll it up or down, it skips on the teeth of the window motor. Also, when it is completely rolled up or down, the motor can still keep spinning.

Terrible Juan said:
Anyone care to explain what the window regulator assembly is? My passenger window started to act funny a few days ago. It seems like when you roll it up or down, it skips on the teeth of the window motor. Also, when it is completely rolled up or down, the motor can still keep spinning.
the motor assembly itself has a main gear, and 3 bushings that turn a smaller gear, which in turn moves the regulator up and down.
The three bushings I mantioned are most likely the culprit of your problem. They disintegrate over time, and the gearset freewheels, which is what gives you the 'motor turns but window does not move' scenario.
They need to be replaced. on ebay you can find kits for these, either the brand new gearset already assembled, or just the 3 grommets.
sorry I don't have pictures......Anyone????

paul

You have to insert the mechanism inside the door and then rotate the mounting bracket under spring tention and then insert 4 pop rivits.....

I don't remember the regulator being under tension. I just unbolted it from the glass, drilled out the rivets, wiggled it out and then reversed the procedure with the replacement. It only took 15 minutes or so.

Finding a rivet tool for those 1/4" rivets was the tough part for me.

SCme94 said:
Finding a rivet tool for those 1/4" rivets was the tough part for me.
You got that right!!!!

I was able to order one from Harbor Freight for $30.00, but it took two weeks for it to arrive.....:mad:

AZ sells the window regulator gear plugs....HELP part #74410...

Juan:
The teeth on the actuator gear will break off over time and that will also give you the problem you are having....

On mine, when the window was all the way up, the motor kept spinning and you could hear the clunking sound from inside the door.....

The last tooth on the actuator was sheered off....

Check the window motor first and while it is out see if you can feel the actuator gear with your hand to see if any teeth have been broken off...

Attachments

• Window Actuator 001.jpg
    Window Actuator 001.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 100
Back