PDA

View Full Version : Will any Tbird or Cougar PS pump work?

JStudrawa
01-26-2006, 11:46 PM
My '89's pump is leaking and squealing. I can probably grab one from the pull-a-part, but will any Tbird and/or Cougar powersteering pump work?

skydivr7673
01-27-2006, 01:45 AM
I have a brand new one for a 95 SC....not sure if it will fit your car, being an 89, but if it will, I can sell it cheap. The remanufactured ones around here are going for just over $70 at advance auto. I would let you have it for 30 plus shipping if you wanted it.

BTW, I just checked, and the part numbers for your car are the same as the ones for mine. So it should work just fine. Let me know if you want it--I just bought my SC last week, and the guy I bought it from gave it to me with the car along with some other spares that he had. it is complete with the fluid reservoir attached.

David Neibert
01-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a brand new one for a 95 SC....not sure if it will fit your car, being an 89, but if it will, I can sell it cheap. The remanufactured ones around here are going for just over $70 at advance auto. I would let you have it for 30 plus shipping if you wanted it.

BTW, I just checked, and the part numbers for your car are the same as the ones for mine. So it should work just fine. Let me know if you want it--I just bought my SC last week, and the guy I bought it from gave it to me with the car along with some other spares that he had. it is complete with the fluid reservoir attached.

Skydivr,

If he doesn't want it, I'll buy it. Just send me a PM.

David

fast Ed
01-27-2006, 09:34 AM
90 - 97 3.8 with variable steering are all the same P/S pumps. 89 was different, the connection for the high pressure line was changed from the others. But it may just be a difference in the EVO actuator itself, it is a specific 89 part number. So you could probably get a later pump to install on your 89, and just switch over your old EVO. Otherwise you would have to change your high pressure line to the later style as well.

cheers
Ed N.

S_Mazza
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I read in an older thread that all the pumps, EVO or not, are interchangeable. You just have to move the EVO actuator to the non-EVO pump. But I haven't tried it myself (yet, haha), so don't quote me.

mannysc
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
same pump the activater swaps from pump to pump all the pumpa ara tha sama!!

skydivr7673
01-27-2006, 04:26 PM
guys--sorry about this, but the ps pump I have is not for the Tbird. I researched and found out that it is for the Ford Taurus. It was given to me when I bought this car, and had no other info on it--I was told it was for this car. It is for the 2.5 and 3.0L engines.

91supacoop
01-28-2006, 01:28 AM
like was said earlier, make sure you save your EVO accuator, but also keep in mind that the N/A 3.8L motors had a 6 rib belt, while the SC has an 8. You'll also need to swap the pulleys if you get a pump off an N/A motor