Where can AOD's leak?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I should be firing up my 89 tomorrow if all goes good. Today I filled up the trans with fluid and all of a sudden it started leaking. The trans was completely drained including the torque converter and I installed a 24 GVW trans cooler and a deep trans pan, so i was thinking that around 15 quarts should fill her up. At around 13 quarts i heard leaking so i rush under the car and its leaking from the rear. I slightly tightened the rear pan bolts thinking it was my pan but i dont think that did anything.

I did a search and the only thing i can gather is that perhaps because the car is now on ramps and obviously on an incline, that the fluid was just leaking out of the rear seal? This could be because all the fluid is now in the pan and only very little (if any) in the torque converter or trans cooler/cooler lines

If this is the case, will this issue be resolved once I start up the car, get some fluid in the torque converter/cooler and run the lever through the gears? Thanx guys!

I know this is from the wrong side (and the wrong forum), but weird as it sounds, I had a leak in my Torque Converter. There was such a hairline crack that could not be seen unless it was tested on a bench under heavy load. When it expanded, it would leak through the creak (yes, it was so not there it was like a creak, not crack). Anyway, I know it wasn't the same place your seeing it, but your post said "Where can AOD's leak", so if this doesn't help you, maybe it'll help someone later who does a search on AOD leak. :eek:

Anthony

I hate to state the obvious but did you check or put the drain bolt back in the torque convertor. Maybe a crack in the tranny housing. I hope it's the bolt.
Good luck

Craig

Thanx for the replies guys. THe car has been sitting for over two years so no leak from the torque converter in load....it hasnt had any load for a long time :p . As far as the bolt in the TC, it was screwed back and torqued properly. Any other ideas?

CaifanSC said:
Thanx for the replies guys. THe car has been sitting for over two years so no leak from the torque converter in load....it hasnt had any load for a long time :p . As far as the bolt in the TC, it was screwed back and torqued properly. Any other ideas?

Since you just installed the motor it's probably leaking from the dipstick tube. It almost always gets knocked around when pulling and installing the motor. You should have added some rtv to seal it when installing the motor. It shouldn't leak from the rear seal unless the driveshaft is removed.

David

Last edited:
Just hope its not leaking from where mine is leaking.......:(

Attachments

• 90SCtranscrack.sized.jpg
    90SCtranscrack.sized.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 91
yep

If you put 13 in without the engine running, it is coming out of the vent tube. Actually I am surprised that you got that far cause usually they only hold 8-9 before they burp out of the tube. On an empty trans put in 8 (or so) then start it and fill up the rest. There simply isn't enough room in the case to accomodate all the fluid. Starting it will fill the convertor.

David Neibert said:
Since you just installed the motor it's probably leaking from the dipstick tube. It almost always gets knocked around when pulling and installing the motor. You should have added some rtv to seal it when installing the motor. It shouldn't leak from the rear seal unless the driveshaft is removed.

David

Ill double check the dipstick tomorrow but i dont think its coming from there...i had a fluid leak from there a long time ago and I changed th O ring in the tube..while it was out during the rebuild I put yet another new O ring in the tube just to make sure...but no RTV.

YT90SC said:
If you put 13 in without the engine running, it is coming out of the vent tube. Actually I am surprised that you got that far cause usually they only hold 8-9 before they burp out of the tube. On an empty trans put in 8 (or so) then start it and fill up the rest. There simply isn't enough room in the case to accomodate all the fluid. Starting it will fill the convertor.

Thats what Im thinking too...the engine is getting started for the first time tomorrow, so I'll check the fluid once the engine has been cranked on.

Back