upper radiator hose

90blkbrd

I have ordered 2 Gates 21589 upper radiator hoses and both isn't what I need. Has this happened to anyone else?

here is a comparison of the hoses. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P1280058.JPG
    P1280058.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 79
  • P1280059.JPG
    P1280059.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
  • P1280060.JPG
    P1280060.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
  • P1280061.JPG
    P1280061.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 72
I replaced an upper radiator hose on one of my friend's '97 3.8 T-Birds. I seem to recall that one section being longer as shown in your pictures. When I installed it it was quite close to the A/C compressor pulley. A week later or so it rubbed through and I put another one on from a different source (can't remember where now). Not sure on the brand names, but I'm pretty sure the first hose came from AutoZone.

I just went through this with a hose for a 5.0 F150. In the end, I just cut about 3 inches off one end and an inch off the other, and it fit without rubbing on anything. I guess some trimming might be required. Cuts easily with a sharp knife.

Looks like you were right.

I was unable to find one that is the same as OEM, so I cut about an inch off each end and it lines up. Not as good as OEM but it will work.

Attachments

• altered upper radiator hose.JPG
    altered upper radiator hose.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 98
Kevin Varnes said:
When I installed it it was quite close to the A/C compressor pulley. A week later or so it rubbed through and I put another one on from a different source (can't remember where now).

Same thing happened to me except it was a Goodyear hose (expensive) and Ford had installed it. :eek: I pulled into a gas station and noticed a pool of coolant under my car. I got a replacement one from Checker and just pushed it farther onto the thermostat housing tube so that it cleared the AC pulley.

P.S. I really need to stop going to that Ford service dept. They only pressure tested 4 of the 6 cylinders when trying to diagnose my coolant loss issue b/c the other two were too hard to get to. :eek:

pablon2 said:
Same thing happened to me except it was a Goodyear hose (expensive)

Gates $13.99
Goodyear $19.99

I couldn't get my hands on a goodyear, so I cut up the Gates. Makes me feel better that wasn't right either.

90blkbrd said:
Gates $13.99
Goodyear $19.99

I couldn't get my hands on a goodyear, so I cut up the Gates. Makes me feel better that wasn't right either.

Got a PN on the Goodyear hose?

Welcome to the world of part number consolidation.

Where the manufacturer may have a dozen variations of a single part to fit the various combinations of their cars, the aftermarket will try to make do with one part to cover them all.

Back