gas filter

PETEp

My SC is bucking after driving fast on the highway. I have a new crank sensor I am thinking gas filter were is it? It may have never been changed so it should be changed anyway. Is the filter easy to change or does Ford have some stupid way of puting this on so someone without 20 years of auto repair can`t change it! Thanks .:cool: :cool:

depends....

your looking about 15-20 mins if its your first time... the fuel filter is on the pass. side of the car (right in the middle of the door, under the car) it has a shield around it (cant miss it) not sure what size bolts they are though hope this helps

Just remember that more than likely there is still pressure in the fuel line, so you need to bleed that pressure off or you will spray gas everywhere when you remove the filter.

how do you release the presure

You can either trip the fuel cut-off/ inertia switch in the trunk (left side), or pull the fuse for the fuel pump, then run the car till it stops. That should release the pressure, but you will still have fuel in the lines that will drip out...

The easiest way to release the fuel pressure is to disconnect or pop-up the red button on the inertia switch, which is on the driver side inner fender in the trunk. Then just crank the engine over a couple of times until it stalls. Depending upon model year, you'll need an a/c or fuel line disconnect tool to release the forward connection on the filter. The rear is just the standard plastic clip type. First I made my own, then I found that the scissor type tool that is sold for Ford's (available at most parts stores) worked great - because you need to expand the little spring clip inside the end of the fuel line before being able to pull off the filter. There is also a big safety clip that goes over the outside to secure the whole connection. 30 minute job tops, but have a container of some sort under the filter, because even after releasing the pressure some residual fuel will still spill out.

I'm curious how consistent Ford was with using the newer style fuel line clips. I replaced a fuel filter on a friend's '96 3.8 a little while back and it still had the old style plastic clips on both sides. I thought they changed over in '94? Haven't looked at my '95 in so long I can't remember what's on that.

Back