Headlights going crazy!

eyefly

I have 91 SC w/ automatic headlights....Don't know if there is a short in one of the wires, but the lights will click on and off uncontrollably!

Happens on manual or automatic....Any ideas?

Rich
(330) 638-5807

eyefly said:
I have 91 SC w/ automatic headlights....Don't know if there is a short in one of the wires, but the lights will click on and off uncontrollably!

Happens on manual or automatic....Any ideas?

Rich
(330) 638-5807

Are you using hi wattage headligt bulbs?
If so you must have the proper headlight harness supplament to prevent damage to your headlight switch.
Or it could be a defective dimmer switch.
Just my 3.8 cts.;)

Last edited:
The Stock Switch Use No Good

THEY HEAT UP AND GO BAD ...MUST BE REPLACED ALSO MAY HAVE TO GET ATER MARKET HARNESS IF USING HIGHER WATTAGE BULBS:eek:

I had the same problem - it is your head light switch.
Make sure you order the switch for the automatic head lights.

head lights

Change the headlight switch in the dash. Were I work we have many fords and change the switches all the time. They will flash on and off when they are bad. You can not add any extra lights to these switches they burn out.

I had this on all three of my 93 birds. Two of them I did the fog light mod to, by wiring the fogs to their own power. It helps reduce the load on the weak headlight switch. Might be worth looking in to.

Ok, I had this same problem with mine, replaced the switch the problem came back.

Found out that I had to replace both the main switch on the dash and the multifunction switch on the column as well as replace the ends on both wiring harness because they were burnt up.

The problem is that Ford used wire that was too small for the power that the lights required and it would burn up the harness ends at the switches as well as cause the switches to burn out.

The best thing to do is replace all of that and relay the headlights and the foglights so that they are not drawing their power from the main headlight harness. Then put in whatever light bulbs you want to use.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone. Do you know where I can pick up a good used switch. How much for the new one?

Thanks again!

Just for fun, I would call your Ford dealer and have them run your VIN number through Oasis to see if the headlight recall was ever done on your car. If it wasnt, its still a valid safety recall, and you have a free headlight switch coming.....

Back