idle problem

radiorick

I just changed my alternator in my '89 SC. I loosened the coil pack, removed the ic intake and also removed the battery. I put everyting back together
and when I went to start it -the idle is not steady. If i keep my foot on the gas it's okay. I checked all the vacum lines and everything else I may have l jarred lose. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? The car dies when I put it in gear. thanks Rick

Kevin Varnes said:
More than likely you have a bad seal on one of the intercooler tubes. What method did you use to reseal them?

I didn't put anything on them. What do you use? Rick

You definitely need something. I have always used the Ford Teflon tape, but I'm not sure if it is still available at the dealer (before you reach for your plumbing supplies it is much thicker than regular teflon tape). Others have used gasket sealer. tbird88 (Wynn) sells a set of reusable IC tube gaskets for about $25. That is the route I would go. The other methods work, but they can be tricky to get them to seal up the first time you do it. Try doing a search on the site for IC tube sealing or something to that effect. It has been brought up many times. Good luck!

Kevin Varnes said:
You definitely need something. I have always used the Ford Teflon tape, but I'm not sure if it is still available at the dealer (before you reach for your plumbing supplies it is much thicker than regular teflon tape). Others have used gasket sealer. tbird88 (Wynn) sells a set of reusable IC tube gaskets for about $25. That is the route I would go. The other methods work, but they can be tricky to get them to seal up the first time you do it. Try doing a search on the site for IC tube sealing or something to that effect. It has been brought up many times. Good luck!

THANKS A MILLION!!!! RICK

I used black (o2 safe) RTV with no problems. But I am going to use the teflon gaskets from Tbird88 in the future.

IC gaskets from Wynn are by far the best route to go......:D

They can be reused over and over, which makes changing plugs a bit easier....

Also make sure you have a good clean ground from the block to the body. It can cause this problem. should be near the motor mount(pass.) if I recall.

Back