radiator?

rabidranger

Is it possible to install the radiator form a 91 5.0 thunderbird into an 89 SC?
I know that it is going to hinder the Intercooler but since the superchager isn't installed I am not worried about that. Just need a temp fix untill spring. Is this possible or not?

It will only fit if you remove the intercooler and the IC tubes. You would also need to rig up something to get the SC radiator fan mounted on the 5.0 radiator, because it didn't come with an electric fan. The SC upper radiator hose would likely work without any changes, but the lower hose will be too short.

The stock 5.0 radiator isn't much of an improvement over the SC radiator.

Daxvid

thanks

I really wasn't looking for improved cooling, Just trying to get the car out of my father-in-laws garage, before it wears out its welcome. The stock radiator is toast and was hopeing I could but the 5.0 one in it because I already had it. Is there are difference betweent the 89-90 SC radiator and the 91+ SC radiator, or are the parts stores around me full of it. Right now they are only able to get me a 91+ SC radiator and I have a 89 :( Thanks again

thanks, I had a feeling they were feeding me a line of crap, that and the $440 price tag for an OEM radiator had me wondering.

I believe that around 91 was when they switched to plastic tank radiators (they suck). There was a time back in 98 or 99 when Valeo, maker of Fords radiators, moved their factory down to Mexico for the cheap labor, and lost the dies to make SC radiators. They were like Gold, none in the junkyards anywhere. My car sat at the dealers lot for 4 months waiting on one under warranty! Then they got new dies made and started cranking them out. Price was in the upper 400 dollar range. Now the market is pretty full of SC radiators and brand new metal tank units are on Ebay for 130 bucks and worth every penny.

thanks, but how do they lose that? very strange. Oh well I will get the bird up and running as soon as I find the all metal one.

You know thats the same thing I asked... I guess they got lost in the move. They said to tool up new dies would cost over 600K. Im sure they lost money on that screw up. My car sat for four months at the dealers lot. I bought a car cover and threw on it, heck I even bought another car because of it. I was not happy. Some of the new ones on Ebay are all metal too.

Back