EGR Transducer

XR7Kurt

Will car run properly with the EGR Transducer disconnected? I'll plug the vacuum hose to prevent leak. I need to get my car running tonight, and the plastic nipple to the vacuum hose broke off. Any help will be appreciated. Kurt

To EGR, or Not to EGR?

XR7Kurt said:
Will car run properly with the EGR Transducer disconnected? Kurt
I removed my EGR equipment Years ago. Never got a CEL caused by removing it either. One of the best things I ever did!!!!!!

It's my personal belief that manufacturers put EGR on cars in a weak attempt to get lower emission numbers & placate the Tree Huggers! Engines don't put out less hydrocarbons, just because a portion of them are sucked back into the engine, under certain conditions.

Just curious, what exactly is it that "might" be damaged down the line? Lets her some facts here? If something "might be damaged, why did some SC's come with EGR & some without? If the "down the line" assumption is correct, then ALL the SC's w/o EGR, should be damaged from years of not having it at all !!!!!!

68COUGAR

First of all.

Removing your EGR was the best thing you ever did? Really felt those ponies kick in after that eh? All the way to the floor and almost couldn't control it I bet?
The EGR does not remove any noticable amount of HP. Actually it is commanded shut when at WOT and a number of other conditions. I can see where the simple mind would find it easier to remove it if it causes problems rather than fix it(hope it doesn't burn when you pee).

Once your right!(somebody write that down)

The amount of hydrocarbons that the EGR removes is minimal to say the least! Damn those tree huggers pushing such things on us, BUT the amount of recycled exhaust DOES lower the combustion temp. below 2500 degrees F, and prevent the creation of NOx or Oxides of Nitrogen. Theres your facts! I'll leave the proof puddin' up to you.

As for damage down the line....

The car is designed to operate WITH this system, adjusting long and short fuel trims, base fuel maps and ignition timing to work at a maximum efficiency. With out it the combustion/cylinder temps go up, in turn so do exhaust temps, aaaaand in turn so does the catalytic converter temp. At that point the rhodium and platinum can become brittle and collapse. Now you do have a high restriction in your exhaust, and can help to hurt head gaskets. We have been through this before though. So is it those damned tree huggers catalytic converters fault, or the moron that took his EGR system off.

Must be the converter, Manufacturers just threw that on there so they could write off those millions of dollars in research and development.............

If your going to try to help some of these people then at least know what you are talking about, and point them in the right direction, instead of what you would do and "It's worked so far" kind of thinking.

Ray

Last edited:
Oh and to answer your question. Some vehicles even today are manufactured without EGR systems. This is due to the fact that some of these engine are actually efficient enough to uphold the emissions threshold without them.

The reason you don't get a MIL after removing your EGR is due to the fact that these cars don't have a DPFE(Differential Positive Feedback EGR) Sensor, or an EGR valve position sensor.

Ray

RBH Racing said:
First of all.

Removing your EGR was the best thing you ever did? Really felt those ponies kick in after that eh? All the way to the floor and almost couldn't control it I bet?
The EGR does not remove any noticable amount of HP. Actually it is commanded shut when at WOT and a number of other conditions. I can see where the simple mind would find it easier to remove it if it causes problems rather than fix it(hope it doesn't burn when you pee).

Once your right!(somebody write that down)

The amount of hydrocarbons that the EGR removes is minimal to say the least! Damn those tree huggers pushing such things on us, BUT the amount of recycled exhaust DOES lower the combustion temp. below 2500 degrees F, and prevent the creation of NOx or Oxides of Nitrogen. Theres your facts! I'll leave the proof puddin' up to you.

As for damage down the line....

The car is designed to operate WITH this system, adjusting long and short fuel trims, base fuel maps and ignition timing to work at a maximum efficiency. With out it the combustion/cylinder temps go up, in turn so do exhaust temps, aaaaand in turn so does the catalytic converter temp. At that point the rhodium and platinum can become brittle and collapse. Now you do have a high restriction in your exhaust, and can help to hurt head gaskets. We have been through this before though. So is it those damned tree huggers catalytic converters fault, or the moron that took his EGR system off.

Must be the converter, Manufacturers just threw that on there so they could write off those millions of dollars in research and development.............

If your going to try to help some of these people then at least know what you are talking about, and point them in the right direction, instead of what you would do and "It's worked so far" kind of thinking.

Ray

WOW:eek: Such a wonderful attitude you seem to have. You are ALWAYS right and everyone else is ALWAYS wrong:confused: Makes a guy just want ignore everything you type. Don't take this the wrong way, you do SEEM to know what you are talking about AT TIMES, but the "I know it all, and you know nothing" attitude is getting a bit old to say the least. Could you maybe lighten up a bit and stop being so condescending towards people in everything you post?

136 Posts

XR7inWI said:
WOW:eek: Such a wonderful attitude you seem to have. You are ALWAYS right and everyone else is ALWAYS wrong:confused: Makes a guy just want ignore everything you type. Don't take this the wrong way, you do SEEM to know what you are talking about AT TIMES, but the "I know it all, and you know nothing" attitude is getting a bit old to say the least. Could you maybe lighten up a bit and stop being so condescending towards people in everything you post?
Well, he DOES have 136 posts!!!!!!! I think he's wants "the Diddys" position here.

Notice how he skillfully avoids answer why some SC's got EGR & why some didn't. The cars that didn't get EGR must be so 'damaged down the line", that they no longer run.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
If you read further you can see I didn't start the attitude thing. I like getting along with people, But when someone that has no idea what they are talking about, wants to question something in a manor that insists the right way or the facts are wrong, I tend to get a bit heated.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. It's not the I'm right and your wrong thing. Just trying to state the facts for someone who is looking for help.

Ray

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
Well, he DOES have 136 posts!!!!!!! I think he's wants "the Diddys" position here.

Notice how he skillfully avoids answer why some SC's got EGR & why some didn't. The cars that didn't get EGR must be so 'damaged down the line", that they no longer run.

68COUGAR

It's answered.

I should also throw in there that it was explained to me by a very experienced tech that manufacturers can produce vehicles that don't meet federal emission standards. There are fines that go along with this that are usually passed on to the consumer. I don't think this was the case with the SC's though. I think it more applies to the Corvette and Ferrari world.

WARNING! I am NOT claiming the above statement is fact!

Speaking of attitudes and condescending, DAMN!

Believe me top of the hill here is the least of my concerns.....

BTW, What is it that my 136 posts influences? Compared to your 1,500 I guess I must not know anything.

Last edited:
I meant to update this the other day and forgot.

One thing that I left out about between having and not having an EGR. All the manufacturers have used various cam designs to also eliminate the need for an EGR system.

With less valve overlap exactly designed to retain a small amount of exhaust gas in the cylinder they can effectively delete the recycle part of the equation. This has only been used in small #'s so far, but GM is doing the vast research to make it a more common if not standard system. It really depends on the application and engine. There are still problems with extended idle, and various driving conditions causing high carbon deposits on pistons(leading to detonation and driveability issues).

This is actually a much more likely system to see on our cars due to the available boost pressure.

Just a piece of info.

Ray

Back