Fmic

flyingthunder

I got a cheap front mount on ebay and was wondering what is a realistic horsepower gain I can expect? I mean with basicaly no other mods( 15% OD on sc)

flyingthunder said:
I got a cheap front mount on ebay and was wondering what is a realistic horsepower gain I can expect? I mean with basicaly no other mods( 15% OD on sc)

I've seen it written that folks get about 30 rwhp with a stock setup.

damn you good a good ~~~ price on it. very nice intercooler. should see some interesting gains from it. i purchased one too but the inlet and outlet is the problem. they are only 2 inch and i am gonna modify them to a 2 1/2 inch openings.

I would say around 10-20rwhp on average for any car. Every car responds to mods differently.

The real gain from going to a FMIC from a stock IC is the fact that the FMIC doesn't heat soak going down the track so you get to keep the hp the whole time. Which means better ET.

That is the same IC that I have on my car. I added the FMIC, a top, 75mm TB and a different CAI. I saw about 28 RWHP and 36 RWTQ.

So the real gain to fmic is in lower inlet charge temperatures and not pressure drop, or is it a combination of the two? Which one is more important?

Phillio99 said:
So the real gain to fmic is in lower inlet charge temperatures and not pressure drop, or is it a combination of the two? Which one is more important?
Lower inlet temperatures is one of the main concerns for an FMIC along with flow. 14-15 psi on a stock IC will make just as much HP as 17 psi or so due to the heat on a stock IC.

On my FMIC setup the IC has stayed the same temperature after I get done driving it for a while as it does whenever I first start it up at the beginning of the day. This is opposed to a stock IC whenever everything was hot as blazes after a nice joyride.

It depends on how you set your IC up too. My IC is about a foot, maybe more, away from the radiator so it doesn't have much potential for heating up the IC. I haven't had the car on the dyno or taken the car past 4K because I don't have the car tuned and I'm far from stock.

Thanks for that information, all very useful!:D But I have one more question, What is good size intercooler tubing to use, what size would match the sc top and the return tube?

I really think 2.75" piping would be the best size all around. 3" inlet pipe and 2.5" return is a good alternative though.

Back