Rattling/Clanking noise from the bottom of the car

jsue1961

HELP! I have a noise that all of a sudden appeared. It sounds like a loose bolt in the catalytic converter. The noise doesn't oscillate with the RPMs it just kind of rattles as I drive along. Is it the catalytic converters? I bought the car with 136k miles on it and it now has 220k. It is annoying and loud and embarrassing as I drive along the street. :eek: Thanks in advance for your help.

It is probably the heat shields on the catalytic converters rattling. They rattle when some of the spot welds get old and break. To fix it, go out and get some large hose clamps. Either 1 really big one per side or 2 fairly big ones that you can combine in series. Just slip it over and tighten it down, and the noise should go away. I think there is a 3rd heat shield attached to the downtube ahead of the cat, and that could also rattle, but doing the hose clamps around the cat fixed my problem entirely.

My 89 XR7 with 130,xxx miles on just started doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. Only does it from about 1700 rpm to about 2300 rpm under load (accellerating, etc.). Kinda freaked me out when it first started but once I figured out what it was I was rather relieved, to say the least. I have a full new exhaust to put on but haven't gotten at it yet cuz it's been to cold.

Back