Fmic Ideas

acb92sc

I Can Get An Srt4 Intercooler Cheap. Is It Worth Making A Fmic W/ This W/ A Front Exit Blower Top Going To The Passenger Side And Returning On The Driver, Or Am I Better Off Finding An Aftermarket Ic On Ebay. Regardless I Am Going With The Cross Flow Design To Keep The Return Pipe Up Off The Exhaust On The Driver Side. Thanks.

The SRT-4 IC's are quite short. You should really try to find an aftermarket IC. If you are going to do the front exit top then you should try the IC that is the same size as mine is. Dan Sly has the front exit top with an IC the same length and height as mine. I kept the side exit, but the front exit top would have been alot less bends and easier routing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTERCOOLER-TURBO-FMIC-FRONT-MOUNT-BAR-PLATE-31X12X4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8033844374QQrdZ1 This is the IC I used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUGE-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-24x12x3-TURBO-FMIC-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8033923103QQrdZ1 Basically the same IC as mine, but it's a 3in. core.

http://search.ebay.com//search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=fmic Alot of nice and dirt cheap IC's on ebay right now in numerous sizes.

Since the IC's were soooo cheap I thought that they would be put together sloppy with janky TIG welds or the metal was going to be thin and have lack of durability, but they are nice. They come polished with a not too thick, but just right aluminum and nice welds. The IC's endtanks are also rolled at the end so the connector won't blow off.

That would work too.

There's quite the variety out there, but any FMIC at the right size is alot better than stock or DIC.

CMac89 said:
That would work too.

There's quite the variety out there, but any FMIC at the right size is alot better than stock or DIC.

Do you think the pipes would make a big difference. I'm thinking that the inlet on the intake manifold is too small and that there may not be much of an advantage to be using 3 inch pipes. Someone could chime in with some toughts on this.

91_SC_BIRD said:
Do you think the pipes would make a big difference. I'm thinking that the inlet on the intake manifold is too small and that there may not be much of an advantage to be using 3 inch pipes. Someone could chime in with some toughts on this.
The blower really doesn't have the CFM capabilities to keep up with 3" pipe. I used 3in. inlet (blower) tubing and 2.5" return pipe. The 2.5in. return pipe gives the motor the velocity back.

The return plenum ID is 2.5" so 3in. pipes don't help much.

CMac89 said:
The blower really doesn't have the CFM capabilities to keep up with 3" pipe. I used 3in. inlet (blower) tubing and 2.5" return pipe. The 2.5in. return pipe gives the motor the velocity back.

The return plenum ID is 2.5" so 3in. pipes don't help much.

So then you could use that type of intercooler and only have to slightly extend the current i/c tubing with some pipe, connectors and bends.. that would make it very easy to install.

91_SC_BIRD said:
So then you could use that type of intercooler and only have to slightly extend the current i/c tubing with some pipe, connectors and bends.. that would make it very easy to install.
Not a good choice to use stock IC tubing, but you could do it.

Back