Woot..woot..the turbo car is running again !

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Chris Wise and I spent about half of the day putting the finishing touches on the repair job and fired it up this afternoon. It sounds a little louder than I remember, but it's been awhile since it's ran, so maybe I just forgot what it sounds like.

Over the past couple months in addition to repairing the damaged motor I've spent a lot of time insulating stuff and moving hoses and wires further away from the hot pipes, so hopefully it will pay off. We also found that one of the clamps on the intake pipe down inside the fender between the MAF and Throttle body had fallen off, so I'm sure it was leaking under boost.

Still have some electrical issues that need tracking down and I also need to install the new rear end (Auburn Pro with 3.73s), fix a transmission leak, install a bigger MAF and a few other minor things. But getting the motor back into the car and running again was the biggest part of the job. I'm not planning to take it down off the jackstands until everything is fixed, so it will probably be at least another month before it's back on the road.

Special thanks to Kurt Kreisz and Chris Wise for all their help so far fixing this beast. Can't wait to see what 20 pounds of boost and 3.73s feels like. Here's a few pics of how it looks today.

David

Attachments

• IM003221.JPG
    IM003221.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IM003217.JPG
    IM003217.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IM003215.JPG
    IM003215.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 202
CMac89 said:
Lookin good. What are your plans for the turbo car this year?

The goals are still 800 rwhp and mid-low 10s @ 135-140 mph. It would also be nice if I didn't blow it up or wreck it while trying to accomplish them.

David

A few more pics.

Attachments

• IM003227.JPG
    IM003227.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IM003222.JPG
    IM003222.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IM003228.JPG
    IM003228.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 160
Nice!!!!

good to hear you got the beast running again!! Hope to see it at the big get together in Dayton....

David Neibert said:
It would also be nice if I didn't blow it up or wreck it while trying to accomplish them.

David

That's always a good goal. :D Glad to hear that it's back together. I can't wait to see that car in action this season.

-Rod

Re

Dave I just got mine fired up also after installing the engine management
system need Dalke down here to fine tune it though. Seems to run alot
smoother on speed density then mass air.

Good luck
Chris

Blown347 said:
Dave I just got mine fired up also after installing the engine management
system need Dalke down here to fine tune it though. Seems to run alot
smoother on speed density then mass air.

Good luck
Chris

Chris,

Glad you got it running better. Even on the jackstands I was able to get mine to backfire. I've got new o2 sensors but didn't want to install them until burning some of the coolant out of the exhaust. After being soaked in motor oil and then drowned in coolant, they are probably contributing to the problem.

BTW, Were you able to get all your instruments/gauges working without the stock computer ?

David

re

[BTW, Were you able to get all your instruments/gauges working without the stock computer ?

David[/QUOTE]

No I have not got to them yet I had ants in my pants just to get it to run.
I read the 125 page Manual for the ecu 5 times now so my brains fried.
hope to get some real street tunning this week to tweak the fuel and spark
map. I think my neighbors may hate me now, oh well :D

Chris

David, you REALLY need to be bringin' that beast to the Shootout. There is no excuse, it just HAS TO be there.

Looks very clean. Clean and powerful is a great combo. Hope it stays together and you run as fast as you want.

XR7inWI said:
David, you REALLY need to be bringin' that beast to the Shootout. There is no excuse, it just HAS TO be there.

Not much point in bring the turbo car because it won't be NHRA legal for the MPH I expect to run. So even if the track officals don't give me the boot, I will be disqualified on the first pass of eliminations. That means I'd probably crank up the boost and go for a glory pass at max power during the time trials, and risk breaking it before the real racing even starts.

I'm planning to bring the 91 this year and see if I can give Kevin a little competition. Unfortunatly, it can't run any quicker than 11.49 because of the NHRA safety rules, so it won't really be very competitive either.

What car I bring will most likely be decided, by wich one is still running at the time.

David

Great to see that you got your turbo car running again David. Hopefully you dont have to many bugs to iron out of it so you can get it on the street. I can only imagine how bad its itching you to drive it.

Shane

David Neibert said:
Not much point in bring the turbo car because it won't be NHRA legal for the MPH I expect to run. So even if the track officals don't give me the boot, I will be disqualified on the first pass of eliminations. That means I'd probably crank up the boost and go for a glory pass at max power during the time trials, and risk breaking it before the real racing even starts.

I'm planning to bring the 91 this year and see if I can give Kevin a little competition. Unfortunatly, it can't run any quicker than 11.49 because of the NHRA safety rules, so it won't really be very competitive either.

What car I bring will most likely be decided, by wich one is still running at the time.

David
Why not put a cage in either or both? It'll stiffen the chassis up quite a bit.

CMac89 said:
Why not put a cage in either or both? It'll stiffen the chassis up quite a bit.

Because it looks too much like a race car, it generally makes the rear seat unuseable and IMO spoils the whole sleeper aspect. Besides that, to be legal beyond 135 mph requires much more than the 6 point rollbar that most of the guys around here have.

Any vehicle that runs faster than 135 mph must meet minimum requirements for 9.99-second vehicles, which include an NHRA chassis certification, NHRA competition license, and updated safety requirements blah..blah...blah.

Look at the requirements for 9.99 to 7.50....I would have to do all that crap for the turbo car to be legal.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

David

Last edited:
Back