Audio Help, Need Help ASAP

rhodes588

I just purchased a new Sony CDX-F7710 Head Unit and after installation, only the rear left speaker is putting out sound. I connected white/white, white-black/white-black, gray/gray, gray black/gray black, purple/purple, purple black/purple black, and green/green, green black/green black.

When you put the sound all the way to the left, the left rear speaker turns down, and when you put the sound to the right, the sound comes from the rear left speaker. No sound either way in the front, all connections are fine. Someone save me on this one.

All speakers are fine, by the way.

is this a premium sound car? if so do you have the bypass harness in back and the small 8 pin behind the dash?

did you use an install kit that let you just plug into the existing harness?

If not, are you sure you have the right colors hooked up. Sony coloring and Ford coloring may not be the same.

Mike8675309 said:
did you use an install kit that let you just plug into the existing harness?

If not, are you sure you have the right colors hooked up. Sony coloring and Ford coloring may not be the same.

the wire colors are quite different but im guessing he got the harness that uses the modern day standard red yellow black blue are power and the white grey purple and green are the speakers.. also the bypass harness you buy uses the tiny preamp wires(the 8 pin behind the dash) and they dont carry high power very well. that bypass harness in the trunk. check it. mine used to come loose from time to time.

i wound up running new wires all around in the red SC. had a crazy setup in that car with a kilowatt RMS and a pair of dvc 15"s.miss my d-class:(

PS have them bench test the radio

Last edited:
I tried to install a CD player in my moms Mark VIII last month with the JBL Premium sound .. what a nightmare. I ended up just running new wires to the speakers. The factory amp wiring just doesnt go together very well with aftermarket head units.

- Dan

The wiring harness I have has the 8-pin for the speakers, and the power/remote/ground assembly with it. Everything is wired fine, but the factory speaker (male) is kind of falling apart. I'm not sure if that's the problem because I just had a cd player in it and it worked fine.

Any more ideas?

And would anyone know if the colors are different with each harness?

Thanks,
Kyle

If anyone was interested in what I purchased. (Viper alarm is on the way with remote start)

Attachments

• System 012.jpg
    System 012.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 81
Hi,

The factory stereos in our cars, ALL TYPES of FACTORY STEREOS
of ALL MN12s, use a seperate amplifier located usually in the trunk. Therfore, it is best to run COMPLETELY seperate wires from the dash all the way to each speaker.
I know, this is a pain in the ~~~, and there are adapters for 'the easy way', but every adapter/line-level converter I have seen has failed at some point or another, or not worked right at all ever...(Like the scenario that started this thread).
I have 16 years experience installing car radios, and trust me when I say that you will never go wrong(esp with our cars) taking the time and running your own wires to the doors/backseat armrests...
While you are at it, buy a new set of speakers. Your new radio will have enough power to push the factorys, but even Wal Mart brand will sound better than these 15 year-old JBL 2-ways would. I have performed the comparison already..... Getting cheap seperate tweets is even better!
Then there's the question of amps................
my02
Good luck!

paul

I'm looking for a temporary fix until I can get my hands on some more money to put the interior speakers in. Anyone?

thirdbird said:
The factory stereos in our cars, ALL TYPES of FACTORY STEREOS
of ALL MN12s, use a seperate amplifier located usually in the trunk.

Only the Premium and JBL have the seperate amplifiers. The basic model stereos are a plug and play deal.

- Dan

Ddubb said:
Only the Premium and JBL have the seperate amplifiers. The basic model stereos are a plug and play deal.

- Dan

That is incorrect.
Every SC and LX had an amp of some sort in the trunk for powering the speakers.
Only years I have not worked-on were 96/97. So maybe you are right there.

paul

I have an 89 SC with the plug and play deal. I have holes in the trunk were stereo equipment and speakers could go but there is nothing there. I just put the wireing harness kit and pluged in a Kenwood CD player in December and everything worked fine. Ofcourse I only have 4 speakers :( 2 in the door and 2 on the rear side panel.

Right, okay. Does anyone know the wiring diagram to hook up to the harness that I have? The harness is a Scosche FDK4B / FDK4, and the deck is Sony CDX-F7710. Thanks again

Kyle

thirdbird said:
That is incorrect.
Every SC and LX had an amp of some sort in the trunk for powering the speakers.
Only years I have not worked-on were 96/97. So maybe you are right there.

paul

Im not wrong. I had a 91 LX with no amp in the trunk, and I currently own a 94 LX and 95 LX .. all with no amps. The only one with an amp is my 94 SC with the JBL system. The basic sound system does not have an amp.

Rhodes - Sorry to tell you, but it may not be possible to hook your aftermarket stereo up and bypass the factory amplifier to use your factory speakers. The amplifier divides the midrange and tweeters, and the signals it takes from the head unit are not all + / - leads, some are, the others are only single wire leads. I looked at the EVTM for a while before I decided to re-run all of my wires and install new speakers in a car with the JBL system.

- Dan

Last edited:
my 96 had no amp, my 91 has no amp. both v8 cars. i know for sure because i went through both putting crazy systems in them.

The SC tbirds had 3 optional radios. Most cars got the preminum or jbl sound from the factory.

Available were:
A Standard AM/FM radio available. This has no amplifier.
Premium Sound system that had an Amplifier in the trunk.
JBL Sound system that had a four channel amplifier in the trunk with a Subwoofer and it's amplifier.

Attached is a color chart for the Premium and/or JBL wiring in a 1993 SC. it's all I have access to, don't know if it changed from years to years.

Attachments

• RadioWiring1993.gif
    RadioWiring1993.gif
    46.2 KB · Views: 81
Ddubb said:
Rhodes - Sorry to tell you, but it may not be possible to hook your aftermarket stereo up and bypass the factory amplifier to use your factory speakers. The amplifier divides the midrange and tweeters, and the signals it takes from the head unit are not all + / - leads, some are, the others are only single wire leads. I looked at the EVTM for a while before I decided to re-run all of my wires and install new speakers in a car with the JBL system.

- Dan

The thing is I'm not trying to bypass my factory amp. When the 8-pin plug is plugged into my harness, and the harness is plugged in to the the back of the Sony unit, there is only sound going to the rear left speaker. I have heard that these 8-pin speaker connections on your factory harness can sometimes not plug in all the way or whatever. Someone let me know, I'm about ready to take it to the local audio shop and have them professionally install everything with a warrantee. Let me know.. Thanks again,

Kyle

The premium sound system is different than the JBL system on the later model vehicles.
If you are trying to use the amp, you may need to splice a wire in to turn the amp on, there is a power lead on the factory harness that will turn on the amp. On the diagram above posted by Mike, there are a couple other power wires one for the CD changer, and the other should be for the amp but Im not 100% sure on that, plus another ground wire that your harness may already have wired up but I wouldnt know for sure without actually seeing exactly what factory system you have and your harness adapter.

- Dan

Last edited:
if your sony is newer it should have the standard whitr, gray, purple, green etc colors and should match color to color with your scosche harness. make sure that the blue/white out of the sony is hooked to the blue of the scosche harness or your amp will turn off when you put in a cd. you do not need to bypass the amp unless it was not working with the factory stereo. if there was any scratching or hissing sounds with the factory radio it is very possible your amp is bad. Usually the premium sound and jbl systems amplifiers are fine it is the radio portion that breaks. check the pins on the small black harness that plugs into the car side. these bend very easily and you might have bent them. there is a bypass plug which bypass the amp at the amp and is very easy to install. in my 12 years of doing car audio professionally i have never had any problems that required me to run wire to every speaker. if your speakers are old and possibly blown one or more maybe causing the problem but usually you would get no sound at all. if you have a tone generator you can turn on the amp and test each speaker individually for sound you can also use a 9 volt battery and the speaker will make apopping noise. if everything is fine individually i would connect one speaker at a time to the radio while it playing (make sure not to touch the wires from any of the speakers or deck together or to ground) that way you can tell which speaker is giving you the problem. if things continue to act funny i would have to say there is a problem with your radio. ihave seen radios brand new out of the box fail. and to clear things up the lx and sc 89-93 mostly had either the premium sound or jbl system. the 94-up fewer had the premium sound and i dont think the jbl system was offered after 93 but i am not sure on that. but i have seen a few sc's with the base stereo system who knows about ford package logic?

Back