PDA

View Full Version : 5 spd VS Auto

mega_man_01103
02-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I didnt know where else to put this so ill put it here....

Im in the process of buying a SC, i have 2 sellers, both 1991, 100k miles, really taken care off cars...

in your opinion, or factual, whats better, a 5 spd or an auto?

Also, auto is $600 less if that changes anything.

Mike8675309
02-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Dragstrip - Auto.
Fun to drive quotient - 5 speed.

Personally I'd go with the 5 speed. But if you will be driving it in stop and go traffic for days on end... well an Auto is awful handy.

pablon2
02-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Im in the process of buying a SC, i have 2 sellers, both 1991, 100k miles, really taken care off cars...

For me, if I want a street racer/Sunday driver I would get a 5-speed. If I want a DAILY driver or a drag car I would get an AOD. Depends on what I want it to be.

kenewagner
02-02-2006, 12:16 PM

Also, auto is $600 less if that changes anything.

In this Forum (Technical) There is another thread call Autorotor answers. Read the last couple of pages, that thread got off track of the orignal thought and the last few pages are about auto vs manual. Lots of input if that is what your looking for

Ken

7birdslater
02-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Well stock for stock my 93SC auto got owned by a 91ish 5 speed SC in the 1/8th mile at Tulsa Raceway. I left him at the line by a good car length every time, but by the time he hit second, he was beside me, and by the time he shifted third he was half a car in front of me where we finished. Maybe he wasnt stock, but he sure had control of his gears.

SCme
02-03-2006, 01:15 AM
One issue to consider is the AOD or 4R70W in the cars have more aftermarket parts then the M5R2 trannys. Some parts for the M5R2's are not even available except used. At some point the supply of parts will get down to a point that the price will outway any issue of the auto vs. 5spd debate.

Ive had both, a 91 auto and a 94 5spd and my 91 stock was faster in the 1/8 mile then my 94, but the 94 never really felt strong.

quick35th
02-03-2006, 12:47 PM
If I were you I would buy the 5spd SC. I have owned both auto and 5spd SC's and I loved the 5spd SC so much better. Its not even bad in stop and go driving either. Just get the 5spd, you wont regret it.

Shane

phyxius
02-03-2006, 01:07 PM
i started out with my 91 SC being an auto and this past summer swaped it over to a M5R2 and now i wouldn't want anything else.i just bought a 90 XR7 5spd and don't think i would go back to auto unless i got a real great deal.

Micahdogg
02-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I would prefer the M5R2 from a durability stand point. A poorly taken care of 5 speed SC might have a chattery, warped and slipping clutch along with gears that grind upon engagement due to worn out blockers. Oh, and the shifters like to loosen up QUITE a bit. But you can still drive the car in this state....and an complete overhaul should only consiste of a new clutch, pressure plate (centerforce is good), resurface and shim of flywheel, new set of blockers (maybe some other misc. parts) and new fluid. All of which would cost under $500 in parts.

The AOD's...you have more stuff to worry about. Convertors go bad, input shafts are sometimes upgraded, performance valve bodies, bigger capacity tranny coolers, deeper pans. Heat destroys transmissions and AOD typically run hotter than M5R2's. Plus the fluid capacity is nearly 3 times that of a M5R2 (triple your cost in fluid).

For the cost of the parts for a performance rebuild of a M5R2....you easily outspend that figure on just a good stall convertor (Stallion) for the AOD.

So the AOD = heavier, hotter, more costly to upgrade, and requiring higher awareness level (making sure your fluid is topped, fans working, temps ok). Also they seem to require more maintenance.

The M5R2...kind of plug and play. Don't mess with it again until something feels goofy in the clutch or gears start grinding.

The only other consideration is that M5R2 parts are being discontinued. 75% of the time you won't need to replace some of this stuff, but if you do need synchro hubs or a countershaft....you'll be digging up used stuff. Liberty gear stocks used stuff to keep you rolling, but it's a compromise. The AOD has a HUGE aftermarket that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Don't know if this helped or not.

Micah

David Neibert
02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
AOD is easier for holding a beverage between your legs, it's easier to do burnouts and it's easier to race. Aside from that, the manual is a better choice for the reasons Micah already mentioned.

David