TLC needed for 90 Annv

jagerchef

Hello. I've just registered, but have yet to post details or photos of my 90 Annv coupe. I bought it new, but I've been neglectful lately. I've had a job involving a lot of travel and the coupe's been under wraps for a very long time, like 4 years. I need to know if anyone has a connection with a shop in north county san diego who cares about super coupes to give her a going over. It was running fine when it went under wraps. You can send an email if you prefer: jagerchef1@aol.com. I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.
Thanks
Larry

jagerchef said:
I need to know if anyone has a connection with a shop in north county san diego who cares about super coupes to give her a going over. It was running fine when it went under wraps.
I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.
Thanks
Larry
Larry, it is unlikely you are going to find a shop that is well versed in the SC in the area, however, there are many of us that are quite knowledgable of these cars and wouldn't mind helping you out (myself included). My suggestion is that you gather some details about the car such as last maintance, any modifications that have been performed, any issues it had before storage and your goals if any beyond getting it back to full drivable status. At that point, we will be able to better assist you.

Paul

Ditto

Larry,
Good luck finding a shop that can even figure out what these things are...I can't even count the number of times I've had to connvince the parts guy that my car exists. I have even had the Ford parts counter guy puzzled a time or two. If the car hasn't been run at all in the past 4 years, I would recommend a detailed visual before you even start it to check all fluids and belts/hoses. Make sure those nasty North County rats haven't eaten 2/3 of your belts or half way through a fuel line. On the topic of fuel, the fuel in the tank is likely dead depending on how much was in there when it was put away and how long it had been in the tank before storage. A brave man would run the old gas through it, a wise one would empty most of that crap out of there. A oil change should be on the very short list as well since used oil breaks down as time passes. Check the air filter box for the squirrels winter nestegg and make sure no critters have set up camp in the tailpipes. Is the battery flat dead? If so be careful about jumping it as the gases given off by batteries can go boom if exposed to a spark. Now that I've thoroughly frightened you, take the keys, go out there and give that thing a proper beating ;) (just kidding) Seriously, I'm sure a few of us could give up part of an afternoon to lend a hand as Paul mentioned...just let us know.
Welcome back to the fold,
Anthony

Thanks for the info

Sorry for the delay folks. I got a little busy and haven't checked back till now. I can't say I'm surprised there isn't anyone around who knows anything about the coupes. Even the first few years I had it most folks didn't have a clue. And I was in the auto parts retail business then. I spent 20 years in north Texas running parts stores, so I know the basics of what it will take to get it road ready. However, I now make a living as a chef and live in a condo near the beach and working on cars in the garage here is verboten. I just need to find a reliable shop to flush liquids, injectors, change plugs, filters, etc. They always just love it the first time they change the plugs. I always like getting a quote on it first and watch em moan and cry after they've done it. hehe. So I appreciate the reply and will be back again.
Nice to once again here from people who get the SC.
Larry

Try this guy...

Steve Stull/Delta Auto Service 858.695.3995. He can fix anything and he has a ton of exerience with SC's.

Larry,

This post is old but I figured I'd fire off a reply. I live in North County & I work on virtually anything that runs or flies. I have a hangar at Fallbrook airport whre I spin wrenches on "side investments" (aka airplanes) and at home I have a pretty well laid out shop in my garage with air, presses, mill, lathe, valve grinding bench, etc. I use a shop out of Oceanside for my machining (beyond what I can do) & they are quite affordable. I typically use their boring machine & sunnen crank balancer, so I have access to a host of options for the 3.8 mill. I have two SC's now (95 5 speed and a 91 auto), and recently I had a 95 5 speed about two years ago that I sold. I yanked the mill on that car & went through the engine and rebuilt the trans. Other than a boring bar & resurfacing deck, I can do just about anything else. I just started frequenting the SCCOA site again & am amazed at the resources here.

In any case, I'm up in North San Diego County in Fallbrook. Yes, we're in the sticks, but 1.5 acres leaves ample storage for projects (as my wife can attest to).

Feel free to contact me if you still need to help with your car.

M Randolph
aviationstation@hotmail.com
=======
Fallbrook, Khaliforyna
95' SC 5-Speed Black on Gray (always for sale)
66' Nova SS 283/TH-350
67' Chevelle SS 396 (in 5,000 pieces?)
71' El Camino SM 400/TH-400
73' Piper Cherokee (yes it's slow but it'll still beat you)
92' Glasair II (255 knot cruise on 9 GPH! Like a winged Geo on Meth...)

Howdy neighbor

Hey M Randolph..that is very good to know. I live in P.B. and work in Poway. Curious to know if you tackle things like exhaust mods. Do you have a mandrel bender and welder? I am buying the various components then looking around for a decent shop to slap it on. No doubt need help on other future mods as well. Looking forward to meeting you and your '95 5speed which is my next project. First comes this '90 AOD which is gonna be sweet. Welcome back sir.
Dan

Sorry for the delay in responding... I'm glad to be back. My 95' still has some issues, but overall it's been a good car. Unfortunately I do not have any tube or pipe benders, jigs, mandrels, etc. I have been looking at a harbor freight model, but its mainly geared for pipe.

I usually take my custom header and exhaust jobs to Warner's muffler in Oceanside. They are a dying breed there, but they make custom headers for anything that has an engine. They made my last set (O2 bung and all) & I'll continue to go to them. They have been there since I can remember, and my dad remembers them from back in the day.

I've got a MIG welder (AC; would like DC) that I'm about to upgrade to a TIG. Most of my welding is re-stitching spot welds on older chevy's & fords, so any decent and consistent beads are left to my airplane biz partner to weld. :) He's an A&P and can weld a bead that'll make you drop to your knees (dont tell him I said that).

I've not had a car complete enough to take to a run or meet (most are in resto and are sold the day they are done) but I'm willing to meet folks in the area with this one (that actually runs)!

Some of these shops are getting $75 an hour (for a high school dropout with an ASE who likey gets $12 of that $75). I know jet mechanics that work on 747-200 engines that get around that (and have to pay product liability insurance) so its clearly out of control. For us, especially with the little huffer & the ultra-tight working space of the SC, the labor can really eat up a bill.

So, keep me in your hip pocket if you get a problem & a shop decides to stick it to you!

M Randolph
Fallbrook, CA
=======
95' SC 5-Spd Black on Gray (needs paint)
92' Camaro RS 25th Anniv (350/700R4) (freebie but all there, good RPO codes)
71' El Camino 400/TH-400 (in resto)
66' Nova 2 Dr H/T 283/TH-350 (in resto)
57' Ford Fairlane 2 Dr H/T (needs resto)
~~~(-|-)~~~
92' Glasair II RG (@260 KTS! Holy Smokes its Fast...)
73' Piper Cherokee 140 (@125 KTS! Holy Mackrel it's Slow!)
68' Mooney M-20C Ranger (For Sale!)

Last edited:
Back