Anyone rebuild a power steering pump?`

sizemoremk

While I got the engine out, I'm gonna rebuild the power steering pump, I already got the kit... Any hints?

Why rebuild?

Don't slap me with a wet noodle if I'm wrong.

why not just buy a reman unit from Napa/autozone/carquest?

are they discontiuned or $300?

Power Steering pumps are usually $30-$80 with a $15 core.

My $.02
-Smutty

rebuilding PS pumps

well i can only partly help you out. the reason is that i haven't put mine back together yet.
one important thing is the following. Absolutely NO one sells the bushing or bearing or sleeve or whatever you want to call it that the shaft rides on whiched is pressed into front of the pump. I was able to get one from a company locally that actually does rebuilding of pumps and steering gears and rear ends and such. if you need i can get you one. they sold it to me for 10$. so all in all my total bill for the rebuild was under 20$.

And smutty, less than 20$ isn't bad for a pump that was properly rebuilt, and man think of the personal satisfaction. :) :D

See if you can get your hands on some directions from the ford service manual, but main thing is that you need a C clamp and some mini screwdrivers for prying out the C clip or expander ring whatever its called. after getting the plastic housing off use the C clamp to compress the 'valve body' (i think thats what the piece is called) into the pump body, then use your small screwdrivers or other proper tool to get the circular ring out. the hard part here is placing the clamp because the one surface is curved. anyway take it off removed the stuff inside and then the 'plates' at the bottom -- turn the pump over and just tap it on a flat surface and they will fall out.

Note of caution there are these things called slippers in the pump. they are 'like' magnets in an electric motor. they are held in place by the 'surrounding' piece but they are all backed by springs. So putting them back in is probably going to be a major pain. like i said haven't doen this part yet, so no tips.

other than that just make sure you clean all the internals well. it is recommended that a chlorinated cleaner be used, but i don't think that is particularly important.

Other than that, thats all i can think of. if you have any specific questions email me, i don't spend much time on the boards.

James
jkanterakis@hotmail.com

Back