EXTREMLY frustrated!!!

koopa169

Ok,

I'm looking to rebuild my 35th on a budget. So far i have taken the motor out and have discoverd that its in bad enough shape that i needs to be at least honed. Im thinking more along the lines of boring the .030 over to get the most out of the block since it is already out of the car. I have found a local shop that will do the bore job for an accetable price. The problem is I have only found 3 sorces to get pistons.
1). Dave Dalke $525.00 for weisco.
2). Summit racing has keith blacks for $97.39 that have a bore dia. of 3.8410(not sure if they will work)
3). probe pistons with no price
From what I can tell the stock bore is 3.8110 and if you add .030 you get 3.841 . Also I am lost on what rods are going to work with what pistons. I am trying to get a dirction of what i can do for this motor and searching through all the threads on here is very very tedious and not being as effective as i would like. So what i am looking for is some serious technical information and what is available. So if anyone who has any answers or ideas thoughts info it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Troy
Feel free to email at koopa169@hotmail.com

There is a lot more to piston design than just bore diameter. The Wiseco pistons are (as far as I know) the least expensive forged piston option out there. They are also the ONLY forged piston available as a direct replacement using the stock rods. They can be ordered for any custom aftermarket rod as well if you prefer.

Most any piston company can make you custom pistons, but then you have to provide all the info and they are made specifically for you. If you order something wrong, it's yours. Most often it is safer to let your machine shop order for you, that way you know it's going to be right, but you'll pay for it as well. I've seen some Ross pistons go for as much as $700 for a set of 6.

So, not to tell you not to look around or not to weigh your options, but I think if you are looking at a forged piston, the Wiseco is going to be the best option out there. We put together the deal specifically for the SC community and the result is what you see.

If you are not dead set on a forged piston you can get hyperuetectic pistons (basically an OE replacement) from Sealed Power for under $200.

I am sure I have read it on here before, but would someone be willing to refresh my memory as to the pros and cons of forged and hypereutectic pistons? Also... just how much can be honed or removed from the cylinders before new pistons are required instead of just new rings? I am looking at a possible tear-down and "freshen-up" of my motor in the near future with all new bearings and such and was just wondering about these couple of things.

Forged pistons are stronger and less likely to break. For example a valve might imbed itself in a forged piston but will usually break a cast one in half.

Forged pistons are more susceptible to heat and so in extreme situations coating them with a ceramic will help keep them from overheating.

I feel that when pushing the limits of the stock motor, pistons are the first thing to need upgrading. I've run 440rwhp on stock pistons but I don't think you should go any higher than 400rwhp.

So for a mild engine with just the basic bolt-ons and no plans to get wild with it, the extra cost of forged pistons is not really necessary? I doubt I will ever be pushing 400 whp (at least not any time in the near future). With plans of maybe around 300 to 350 whp max the hypereutectics from sealed power should be just fine, right?

sealed power forged slugs are how much more? i know sealed power to be an "affordable" brand. i might trust a keith black or a diamond hyper piston, but not a sealed power. i had sealed power forged slugs in a 306 for nitrous. i never even sprayed it but i felt good knowing i had forged pistons anyhow. they were like 250 a set for a 302 30 over

edited for maximum pimpishness

I would say based on past experience, if you don't plan to use nitrous and you plan to stay at 350rwhp or less then the cast pistons should be fine. I would not use them for any dose of nitrous.

Back