clutch pedal sloppy or firm????

93thunderbird

my SC's clutch pedal is very firm (push's back at you) its been like that since i bought the car and even after i got a factory clutch replaced (i like how it is) well im buying another 90 sc and the clutch was new and tranny as well (but the clutch pedal was sloppy) by sloppy i mean it it didnt really push back upward (is there a spring or what would cause this) by the way it shifted fine into every gear very smooth

I would first try replacing the master and slave cylinders.

Not sure about it being a good or bad thing. Mine pushes back at you pretty hard and ive never had any problems with it. I would guess that a firm pedal is better because the clutch pedal on my moms 99 cobra was super firm (I tend to think svt has it about as right as a ford can be). Good luck!

Basic mechanics.

The clutch is released by a pressure plate that has spring fingers that are pushed on by the thrust bearing that is pushed on by the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is hydraualicly driven by a hydraulic master cylinder attached to the firewally and connected to the Clutch pedal by a shaft that passes through the wall.

The fingers of the pressure plate create force that pushes the thrust bearing back which pushes the slave cylinder back, the hydraulic fluid back into the line and pushes the clutch pedal back up via the master cylinder.

if the pedal doesn't come back very far, that is a sign of either pressure being bled off, or wear of the clutch disks is significant enough that the travel of the slave cylinder no longer allows it to push back enough fluid to lift the clutch pedal as far as before.

If the pedal is sloppy, this could also be a sign that the spot in the pedal where the shaft from the master cylinder attaches to it has become worn and should be repaired.

Try parking on flat ground, put the transmission in first and hold the clutch pedal down. The car should not move. If the car starts to move, your clutch disk is probably worn to the point that it will be failing soon. It's easy to tell as you'll go into second gear, put the hammer down and during WOT, you'll feel the engine lurch as the clutch slips.

Usually its a sign of a bad pressure plate. It should always be springy like the gentleman above me said. If it has a really sloppy return, it means the clutch is old and in need of replacement soon.

Back