SC vs. V8?

5o4SHO

Just out of curiosity how much slower is a v8(5.0/4.6) Thunderbird than a SuperCoupe? I've only ever owned the SC. I was thinking about getting a V8 one aswell, but I was it to be quick. Can anyone shed some light on the v8s for me? Like what kind of power they make, and their 1/4 times. Also, how hard are they to make fast?

well ur v8 will run about 2 seconds slower then the v6. thats alot. i read that the V8 is expensive to mod. I mean you could supercharge it but hey i dont know about that kit. V8 is expensive to mod. V6 SC is expensive to mod and very difficult.

darkstar_one said:
well ur v8 will run about 2 seconds slower then the v6. thats alot. i read that the V8 is expensive to mod. I mean you could supercharge it but hey i dont know about that kit. V8 is expensive to mod. V6 SC is expensive to mod and very difficult.

Try anywhere from the same (96-97 4.6 vs 89-93 SC) to just over a second (94-95 SC vs 91-093 5.0). Let's say your average SC is a mid 15 secopnd car, 96-97 LXes are everybit capable of running mid 15s. 94-95 4.6s and 91-93 5.0s run high 15s-mid 16s though dependant on gearing, absence or not of a trac-lok acle, etc..

well you are on an SC forum... so what do you think we are going to tell you..

Well even though I have a 4.6 dohc sitting at home..

Basically the 3.8 SC I think has better bang for buck than the 4.6 SOHC.

and a 5.0, well their aftermarket is everywhere but wal-mart.

But I am willing to argue a 3.8 SC dollar for dollar you can make the same power with as a 5.0... to a certain extent.

just too bad 3.8 SCs arent in something lighter like a fox Tbird or Mustang.

But Id get an SC. Then you get people saying heeeey a Supercoupe why i havent seen one of those in blah blah blah... more so than a LX.

well you are on an SC forum... so what do you think we are going to tell you..

WELL, from experience, I can tell you this. If I had a Diesel VW rabbit and is was slower.....or faster,,,,, I would tell you. I wouldn't put my money on an SC soley cause I own one. That's shear ignorance.
I can tell you because I swapped a 302 with a Lentech clone in my 93 and it was slower. What matters is your HP goal.

SC vrs 5.0

I have had 3 dif 5 speed SC. 89, 92 and 94. I also have a 89 Stang Vert with 5.0, 5-speed. I would like to say the Stang smokes em, but right now I am looking to get supercharger for the Stang so I get a "it feels like a SC ~~~ pounding response". Blowers for 5.0 aren't cheap. Used 5-7 pound boosters are like 12-1700. So yes, you can tear 5.0 apart and give it guts, but its not cheap to say "If it don't blow, it SUCKS".

Last edited:
modding a 5.0 is like having sex with a slut.

modding a 3.8 SC is like scoring with a super model thats a virgin.

notchback, cowl hood, weld draglites, TFS heads, TFS intake/ or GT-40, E-303 cam bigger injectors blah blah blah blah..

cookie cutters.

not to mention most people, not all that own them think they are the best car to ever make fast.

THE Sc is a betetr car to start off with. FAster to start and a better platform overall. Modifications up to a point will eb cheaper as well.

Now if you are going allout and spending BIG BUCKS...go v8..But that v8 better have an SC or Turbo attached to it

Thunder427 said:
modding a 5.0 is like having sex with a slut.

modding a 3.8 SC is like scoring with a super model thats a virgin.

notchback, cowl hood, weld draglites, TFS heads, TFS intake/ or GT-40, E-303 cam bigger injectors blah blah blah blah..

cookie cutters.

not to mention most people, not all that own them think they are the best car to ever make fast.

maybe so... but you cant deny the fact that foxbody mustangs have proven to WORK in the world of drag racing. Hell, a stock suspension mustang just reset the drag radial record with a 7.56 @ 191 at 3400lbs :eek: Not too many other cars that you can change out the 4 control arms for adjustables, and have an "oem 4-link".

A 5.0l motor is NOT expensive to mod, especially if you do a carb setup. Maybe if you want to buy from overpriced vendors, but the "used" market is huge for the windsor motors, but there are also great deals on new parts. Just depends who you go through.

Heres an example:
Stock 302 shortblock - $75..
NIB DSS/TRW Forged pistons - $80 (swap meet)
Machine work - $150
NIB Performer RPM 6025 heads - $950
Used Victor Jr intake - $125
Used Holley 650DP carb - $50
Rebuild kit - $25
Used FMS Shorty headers - $75
NIB MAC O/R H-pipe & catcback - $300
Used Mallory FPR - $30
Used Holley Blue FP - $50
Used Crane 1.72 RR's - $80
NIB Crane2031 Cam - $110

Roughly $2100 into this motor. Mid-low 13's car in a 3500+lbs convertable foxbody with a 5spd & 3.55 gear on motor. Granted, some of the prices are prices i get, and some stuff i was able to have done free (porting). But most of the prices anyone can get, esp on the used stuff.

Its all about putting together a combo that WORKS, and adjusting to where you want everything (my cam is 2* retarded, timing is locked out, yadda yadda ;))

i have had 3 SCs and 3 v8 cars. 2 of the v8 cars were 4.6 and ill throw them out now. WEAK! now the 91 v8 car. lots of mods. gt 40p heads ported a little, E cam, good exhaust, even stuck in a SC chunk and half shafts. this car was NOTHING compared to even a lightly modified well cared for SC. i was disappointed with the car and this is why i am building another SC as we speak. there just nothing like the sound of a raspy cammed v8, but i will sacrifice some sound quality for TORQUE. if i had the money to carb and turbo that old 302, might have been a little different. :D

The HP/TQ potential of the SC is what makes it the better choice in a 4,000 lb car. The v8 with even sim HP is slower. Mods to the SC motor will garnish you mopre HP with only bolt ons. Bolt ons on teh v8 motor will nto get you there.

Now even if you start going heads can ect ect you will still stay ahead with the SC I believ eform a $$$ standpoint..Dollar for dollar spent. It wasnt always like that but now it is. Build up both motors unnaturally aspirated and well the v8 will blow the v6 out of the water. EVen then you could make over 500rwhp withthe v6...

Go SC..Go 3.8

What about at my altitude? 5500ft, the SC is ALWAYS the better choice :D

That said, what do you think would handle better, a foxbody or an SC? Ideally, I'd like my SC to be well rounded, where I can drag it, maybe into the lowish 13's and also be able to autocross it. I know a t-turd isn't the best application for handling, but hey, I can dream, right?

id go V8 anyday, there are many more parts to use on them than the scv6, the 5.0 has TONS of stuff out there, the 4.6 is getting there slowly, kinda like the way the original 302 was back in the late 60's/early 70's there wasnt much to start with but as time went along theres everything for them. 3 routes to go, start with a NPI engine 96-98 add a set of PI heads with either stock PI cams or a set of aftermarket cams with a decent gear and good tranny with a nice converter. or start with a NPI engine, run ported NPI heads with PI cams and a PI intake manifold, with the right suspension and drivetrain you should see consistant mid/high 12's low 13's N/A or lastly, take a 02 explorer engine complete, toss a Vortech SQ1 on it and youll be seeing around 400RWHP. these combos are all very easy to do with little bolt on's to the engine.

or go my halfassed way, 99 GT engine, 150 shot of nitrous big gear and built tranny with brake. should be seeing about 390ish to the slicks.

The 3.8 SC is a great motor, but the 302 and 4.6 DO have much more potential, mods are PLENTIFUL and CHEAP for the most part, ESPECIALLY for the 302. Bolt-ons, stroke, it, SC it, turbo, a mix of the above, 1000s of different working combinations. it's my GTP, I love my L67, but if i had an LS1........

"or start with a NPI engine, run ported NPI heads with PI cams and a PI intake manifold, with the right suspension and drivetrain you should see consistant mid/high 12's low 13's N/A or lastly"

Thats Horsheet, you cant put that into a Mustang Notchback and runs those numbers without a 5-speed dumping at 4k and slicks.

"or go my halfassed way, 99 GT engine, 150 shot of nitrous big gear and built tranny with brake. should be seeing about 390ish to the slicks".

And thats the the easy way out. If you are seing those numbers.

Vic do you have a deathwish for that motor?:O)

Seriously Id stay 3.8 SC and I hav ea supercharged 4.6 PI turd bird...So I should know right?

:O)

And to add, you still have space constraints on this car, 6 or 8. Just cause someone had a 4.6 or 5.0 in their bird doesn't mean you could go out and buy a SC kit for a fox(or SN95 for that matter) and bolt it on cause its the same motor. Of course it could be made to work, but like anything on these cars, there are issues in regard to space that needs to be addressed. Heads, cam, intake....etc, etc, is one thing, but when people start throwing out turbo this, SC that on these cars it just doesn't happen without some fabrication.

V8Supercoupe said:
And to add, you still have space constraints on this car, 6 or 8. Just cause someone had a 4.6 or 5.0 in their bird doesn't mean you could go out and buy a SC kit for a fox(or SN95 for that matter) and bolt it on cause its the same motor. Of course it could be made to work, but like anything on these cars, there are issues in regard to space that needs to be addressed. Heads, cam, intake....etc, etc, is one thing, but when people start throwing out turbo this, SC that on these cars it just doesn't happen without some fabrication.

OMG, that is so true. I keep hearing from everyone, why dont you just put a PI motor in it, why dont you throw a S/C on it, blah, blah, blah. I like my car, its not all that fast, never lets me down, and it still looks cool. It gets me to all the events, will run on regular, and gets its ~~~ whipped by every Super Coupe it races. LMFAO. I will own a Super Coupe at sometime in my life, but not until I know a whole lot more than I do know. (looking for an almost stock one).

Back